I came to know this idea only few years back when Vj ordered “7 Taste Uthappam” at Saravana bhavan in Chennai. I vaguely remember what were the toppings. Now last month, when Mama mami came here, we used to watch “Anjaraipetti” series telecasted here in the local channel. They showed a Tanjore Hotel which serves this 5-taste Uthappam. I got really tempted to try at home. This could be a perfect snack/ breakfast for your kid😍. Especially if they are picky eater, this could be appealing for their eyes and sure tempting enough to eat. Not that we grown ups should not enjoy. Once in a while it can be a treat for us too.
My mom makes awesome onion uthappams that I can never forget in my life and just keep remembering those days when my mom used to make the uthappams in kadai and I used to sit just next to the stove, on the counter top (my dining area😉) and enjoy the hot uthappams. The uthappams made in kadai has a wonderful unique taste than the one we make in dosa pan. Now my laziness, I never make in kadai. But I make in Iron dosa pan for Vj and eat one (diet conscious hehe)when I make for him. In this 5 taste uthappam, the topping can be purely your choice, it is up to your imagination and creativity. There is no specific recipe or specific quantity for this recipe. Just to put up an idea 🧐.
I always make onion uthappam with small onions just like we get in Murugan idli shop. Its Vj’s favourite.
Please refer this post for making the idli dosa batter.
|Idli dosa batter|
|Small onion(shallots), sliced thinly|
|Tomato, deseeded and chopped finely|
|Ghee / oil|
- Grate carrot finely, slice the small onions, clean coriander leaves and chop it roughly, deseed the tomato and chop finely. Keep the ingredients ready. Heat dosa pan and grease it with oil/ghee. Pour mini (half laddle) uthappams. It should be thick. No need to spread the batter unless it is too thick. Top with your favourite. Cook in low to medium flame to get golden crust. Drizzle some oil/ghee over the toppings and around the dosa.
- Flip once the bottom turns golden and cook in low to medium flame for a minute or 2 or until golden in colour. Drizzle oil when ever desired.
- Always cook in medium flame to get a perfect golden crusted uthappams.
- Ghee gives a great taste to the uthappams, especially to podi and onion uthappams.
- You can also use large onion for making the onion uthappams. But for this mini uthappam, its would be cute if we use this small onion.
- Do suggest your topping ideas in comment section. 🙂