5 taste uthappam / 7 taste uthap is a variety uthappam made as tiny ones with different toppings. Check out for topping options.
I came to know this idea only few years back when Vj ordered 7 Taste Uthappam at Saravana bhavan restaurant in Chennai. But I vaguely remember what were the toppings.
Now last month, when Mama mami came here, we used to watch “Anjaraipetti” series telecasted here in the local channel. Also they showed a Tanjore Hotel which serves this 5-taste Uthappam. So I got really tempted to try at home.
Obviously, this could be a perfect snack/ breakfast for your kid😍. Especially if they are picky eater, this could be appealing for their eyes and sure tempting enough to eat. But not that we grown ups should not enjoy. Once in a while it can be a treat for us too.
5 taste uthappam / 7 taste uthappam topping ideas:
- Idli podi
- Murugai keerai/ Moringa leaves/ drumstick leaves
- Palak/ spinach
- Karuvepillai podi
- Chilli cheese
- Chilli garlic
- Coconut, sugar
- Potato masala
- Peas masala
How to make these toppings look special?
- Onion – Use shallots and cut into cute little rounds.
- Tomato – Cherry tomatoes can make it look beautiful. Cut as discs.
- Capsicum – Use colorful capsicums.
- Carrot – Grate it.
- Coriander – Chop finely with stalks or just use the leaves as such, as per your preference.
- Idli podi – Use your favorite, homemade or even store bought.
- Beetroot – Grate using fine grater so that it gets cooked easily.
- Drumstick leaves – Use fresh drumstick leaves if you have. Just use the tip of the spring (Young leaves) shaped like a clover to make it pretty.
- Spinach/ palak – You can finely chop or roll a leaf after blanching, cut the rolled spinach to use as spirals over to look pretty.
- Karuvepplai podi – You can also use moringa/ murungai keerai podi. Don’t have podi? Just crisp fry few leaves and crush it to use it as topping.
- Chilli cheese – Use grated cheese and finely chopped green chilli (Deseed to avoid too much spiciness). Just add chilli and flip to cook, top it when hot with grated cheese to melt.
- Chilli garlic – Use crisp fried garlic (sliced or chopped) along with red chilli flakes. Sesame oil will be perfect for this dosa. Cheese can also be topped.
- Coconut, sugar – Use grated coconut plus sugar as topping to flip cook so that it melts and caramelizes. Perfect for sweet tooth people.
- Potato masala – Make it like a open masala dosa. Any red chutney smeared over, a small spoon of potato masala, top with coriander coconut.
- Peas masala – This also needs pre prepared masala like above, cant be made instantly.
I always make onion uthappam with small onions just like we get in Murugan idli shop and as well as it’s Vj’s favorite.
My love towards uthappam made in kadai:
My mom makes awesome onion uthappam that I will save to share in a different post. Just keep remembering those days when my mom used to make the uthappams in kadai.
I always used to sit just next to the stove, on the counter top as well as, it’s my dining are . The uthappams made in kadai has a wonderful unique taste than the one we make in dosa pan.
Now my laziness, I never make in kadai. But I make in Iron dosa pan for Vj and eat one (diet conscious hehe) when I make for him.
Besides, this 5 taste uthappam, the topping can be purely your choice, it is up to your imagination and creativity.
In other words, there is no specific recipe or specific quantity for this recipe, just to put up an idea 🧐. So without saying you can make it as 7 taste uthappam as well.
Recipes for uthappam batter:
Check this post for batter : https://rakskitchen.net/how-to-make-idli-dosa-batter-south-indian-idli/
Check this for batter in mixie: https://rakskitchen.net/idli-dosa-batter-mixie-south-indian-breakfast/
5 taste uthappam recipe/ 7 taste uthappam
- Firstly, lets prepare the toppings. Grate carrot finely, slice the small onions into rounds and crush to loosen it's rings. Clean coriander leaves and chop it roughly. Deseed the tomato and chop finely. Keep the ingredients ready.
- Heat dosa pan and grease it with oil/ghee. Pour mini (half laddle) uthappams. It should be thick. No need to spread the batter unless it is too thick. Top with prepared veggies. Cook in low to medium flame to get golden crust. Drizzle some oil/ghee over the toppings and around the dosa.
- Flip once the bottom turns golden and cook in low to medium flame for a minute or until golden in colour. Drizzle oil when ever desired.
- Always cook in medium flame to get a perfect golden crusted uthappams.
- Ghee gives a great taste to the uthappams, especially to podi and onion uthappams.
- You can also use large onion for making the onion uthappams. But for this mini uthappam, its would be cute if we use this small onion.
5 taste uthappam method:
- Firstly, lets prepare the toppings. Grate carrot finely, slice the small onions into rounds and crush to loosen it’s rings.
- Clean coriander leaves and chop it roughly. Deseed the tomato and chop finely. Keep the ingredients ready.
- Heat dosa pan and grease it with oil/ghee. Pour mini (half laddle) uthappams. It should be thick.
- No need to spread the batter unless it is too thick. Top with prepared veggies. Cook in low to medium flame to get golden crust.
- Drizzle some oil/ghee over the toppings and around the dosa.
- Flip once the bottom turns golden and cook in low to medium flame for a minute or until golden in colour. Finally, drizzle oil when ever desired.
Do suggest your topping ideas in comment section. 🙂