Today is aadi perukku (aadi 18) or as we call 18-aam peyar. Both mom and MIL celebrate this day. Mom makes variety rice for aadi perukku always as today I have made, while MIL makes full meals with sambar, rasam, poriyal, kootu, vadai, payasam and appalam.
Along with this, we soak rice and then mix with jaggery and offer it to the “manjal pillayar” and tie yellow thread in neck on the day of aadi perukku. Read my dad’s post about the festival, here.
I wanted to make mom’s way this time. No need to panic by seeing so many dishes in the picture, its actually 5 items + medhu vadai. That’s it. Really! It’s easier than making the full south Indian spread. I want to share this time how I prepared this menu (for 3) also, to prove that this is easy! Prepare pulikaichal the before day, to make it easy.
So here is what I made : Sakkarai pongal , medhu vadai, Thenga sadam (coconut rice), Puliyodharai (puliyogare), Ellu sadam (sesame rice) and Thayir sadam (Curd rice).
- Sakkarai pongal recipe
- Medhu vadai recipe
- Coconut rice recipe
- Puliyogare recipe
- Thayir sadam recipe
- Sesame rice recipe
Aadi perukku recipes
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook time: 2 hrs mins | Serves: 3
- Morning, on wake up, soak urad dal/ ulundhu for vadai and thengai sadam.
- In a small cooker, (directly) cook 1 cup raw rice with 3 cups water for 4 whistles. This is for Curd rice and sakkarai pongal.
- In another stove, pressure cook raw rice 1 & 1/2 cups with 2 cups water for 3 whistles (in medium flame after 1st whistle) for the other variety rice. If you have separate containers, keep little moong dal for sakkarai pongal. Otherwise, cook separately.
- Grate coconut for coconut rice meanwhile.
- Once the 1 cup rice for curd rice and pongal, take half for curd rice in a vessel and leave the rest of the rice in the cooker itself.
- Mash both and for curd rice add 1/2 cup hot water and salt.
- Make jaggery syrup for pongal and prepare pongal.
- If the rice for the other variety rice is done meanwhile, divide into 3 in three vessels and add 2 tsp of sesame oil in each, mix and let it cool down.
- Now its time to give some work to the kadai. Heat it up and roast for ellu sadam, thengai sadam. Keep aside.
- Now start tempering everything – first pongal, then curd rice, coconut rice, ellu sadam.
- Grind for ellu sadam. That’s it, mix all the variety rice.
- Lastly grind for vadai and heat oil in kadai for deep frying side by side.
- Make vadai and fry appalam and some vadams. Aplam and vadams are not offered to saamis, just for the aasamis.
I have video updated for this menu, with lemon rice and kalkandu pongal in place of puliyodharai and sakkarai pongal respectively 🙂
Have a great weekend with homey food 😍.
Aadi perukku 2109 falls on August 3rd, Saturday.