Aam dahi puri, recipe for aam chutney (mango chutney) prepared with ripe mango. This sauce can be used for all chaats and even as a dip for samosas, papad.
We all love the regular version of this recipe. This is a wonderful twist to take it to the next level.
You may also like this schezwan version if you are looking for variation.
What I love about all chaat is the sweet chutney. I am sweet toothed and meethi chutney in chaat is my kind of snack.
May be that is the main reason I love Kailash parbat chaats. Their chaat are made with an extra dose of the meethi chutney.
Especially love their bhel. I have not been to any authentic chaat counters in India, so KP chaat is my favorite here in Singapore.
When I was browsing Instagram, I saw this idea of using mango sauce in chaats.
So I wanted to try out for this mango season. The sauce I saw was pretty much like aam ras, but I made it just like we would make chutney with dates and tamarind.
I just fine tuned the recipe with ripe mango. Wish I had alphonso, but Banganapali mangoes too were perfect.
May be I would have got a better yellow/ orange colour.
Aam dahi puri recipe
For mango sweet chutney
- 1 Mango large, I used banganapali
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ¾ teaspoon Amchoor powder
- ½ teaspoon Kala namak
- ½ cup Jaggery
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon Dry ginger powder
For making aam dahi puri (Click on each ingredient for respective recipe)
- 30 Puri
- ¼ cup Mango sweet chutney
- ⅛ cup Green chutney
- ½ cup Sev
- ½ cup Cooked green moong
- 1 Potato boiled
- ¾ cup Curd Plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves chopped
To prepare Mango sweet chutney:
- Scoop the pulp of mango firstly. Grind it smooth (total 1 cup)
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, take mango pulp, black salt, amchoor powder, red chilli powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, dry ginger powder, powdered jaggery and mix 1 cup water.
- Heat over flame.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce turns shiny and homogenously thick.
- Adjust water as needed in between. Switch off flame and cool before storing in a bottle.
To prepare aam chutney dahi puri:
- Sweeten the curd with sugar and milk.
- Mix to make it smooth.
- Gather all the ingredients needed.
- In a serving plate, arrange puris, break open the top.
- Fill with boiled cubed potato and cooked green moong.
- Add the sweet mango chutney, green chutney and sweet dahi (curd).
- Top with sev, chopped coriander leaves.
- Adjust water in chutney as per need.
- I was out of black salt stock, so used chaat masala. If you use black salt, sure the colour will more bright.
- I generally roast cumin seeds in bulk, powder and use in various items like chaas, parathas, pakoras, dal etc. You can follow same or for this recipe, you can just dry roast until crisp and crush using a mortar pestle and add it to the chutney.
- Was thinking to use chopped ripe mangoes too while filling, but thought it would be too much of mango. So skipped. If you want to try, you can try for more aam in each bite.
- Dry ginger powder is sonth, roasted cumin powder is bhuna jeera powder.
Step by step photos
To prepare Mango chutney:
- Scoop the pulp of mango. Grind it smoothly (total 1 cup)
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, take mango pulp, black salt, amchoor powder, red chilli powder, roasted cumin seeds powder, dry ginger powder, powdered jaggery and mix 1 cup water. Heat over flame.
3. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce turns shiny side. Adjust water as needed in between. Switch off flame and store in a bottle.
To prepare aam chutney dahi puri:
1. Beat the curd with sugar and milk. Mix to make it smooth. Gather all the ingredients needed. In a serving plate, arrange puris. break open the top. Fill with boiled cubed potato and cooked green moong.
2. Add the mango chutney, green chutney and dahi (curd).
3. Top with sev, chopped coriander leaves.
Serve immediately. If you like, sprinkle more red chilli and chaat masala while serving.
That must be delicious for sure.
Super Raji...I must do it...