Aam ka panna is an Indian summer drink and cooler prepared with unripe raw mango (kachcha aam) plus other Indian spices.
It is a vegan, gluten free, lip smacking cooler made in summer and helps fighting through the summer heat when kachcha aam are in season.
In Hindi, aam means mango, aam ka panna is a drink made with kachcha(unripe) aam during summer with Indian spices.
Authentically it is made by roasting the aam in coal fire, but I chose the easy way to make, using these easy steps.
This may not be the authentic way of making this, but it turns out really perfect and delicious.
I think there are many variations and many ways with which this panna is made, but this is the simple and basic recipe, I saw this in a video by Chef Harpal singh.
But with slightly different method that anyone even beginners can prepare this perfectly.
- Mango - Unripe sour aam works best. I like to use fresh oblong variety packed with flavours.
- Cumin seeds - Roasted and then powdered cumin (bhuna jeera)
- Black pepper
- Black salt - Must for flavor.
You can also add mint leaves for extra flavor, but since this is a simple recipe, so are the ingredients... simple! 🙂
I totally love this, it turns out so so delicious. This season, I thought of trying this aam panna and kept postponing thinking how it would be, but this is absolutely my kind.
I am going to make it often. Vj too liked it. I guess the salt and roasted jeera powder with pepper does the magic in this.
While cumin seeds powder roasted adds earthy flavor, kala namak gives a smoky flavor along with pepper which adds a slight heat.
So do try and see if you haven’t tried this before. You are going to sure love it.
- Cut and wash the aam firstly. Pressure cook for 4 whistles with water.
How to prepare aam panna
2. Once done, transfer to a mixing bowl and let it cool down. After that, remove and collect the pulp, discard the skin and any hard seed part.
3. I ground this pulp smoothly furthermore and added cold water to it. Add sugar, pepper powder, jeera powder, black salt.
4. Mix well and transfer to a Jar/ bottle and refrigerate it.
Serve aam panna cold and you can garnish with some mint leaves.
Aam panna recipe
- 1 Raw mango
- ¼ teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds powder bhuna jeera powder
- ¾ teaspoon Black salt Kala namak
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ¾ cup Sugar
- Cold water as needed
- Cut and wash the mango firstly.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles with a cup of water.
- Once done, transfer to a mixing bowl and let it cool down.
- Remove and collect the pulp, discard the skin and any hard seed part.
- I ground this pulp smoothly and added cold water to it.
- Add sugar, pepper powder, jeera powder, black salt.
- Mix well and transfer to a Jar/ bottle and refrigerate it.
- Depending on the size and tanginess of the mango, adjust water consistency. Also the other ingredients.
- Adjust sugar according to your taste.
- Never replace or skip any ingredient in this recipe, otherwise the taste will differ.
- Jaggery can be added in place of sugar.