Apple halwa with just 3 main ingredients. Apple halwa recipe without milk or khoya. Learn how to make apple halwa recipe with step by step pictures recipe.
I have already once tried apple halwa couple of times, once from a cookbook I have. It asked me to cook grated apple in milk. When I added apple to milk, the milk curdled and it made me so upset to see the apple and milk going waste. So was not ready to try the halwa again. Again tried by referring a video which asked for 1 & 1/2 cups sugar for 3 apples, I too added same and found it too sweet, turned out burfi. Realized it could a different measure of 1 cup. So this time I tried half the sugar and got it exactly how I wanted.
I love halwa with a slight tanginess, and this really matches my needs. I was really happy with the outcome. I had lots of apples from Navarathri guests. Though I understand halwa needs only 3 apples, somehow wanted to try it out now as I had apples in stock enormously as well as I am posting Deepavali recipes 🙂 Last week it was banana, this week it’s apple. No more halwa posts, promise 😆 Apart from the fact it would be boring for you readers, the ghee and sugar already made me saturated. Not sure how I am going to proceed with more Diwali sweets posts.
Though I made banana halwa with jaggery, wanted to use sugar for apple halwa as I wanted more glossy effect.
Step by step pictures of how to make apple halwa:
- Peel the skin of the apples. Chop into small pieces, eliminate the seeds.
- Grind smoothly in a mixer.
- In a kadai, add 1 tbsp ghee and fry broken cashew nuts in medium flame until golden and crisp. Set aside.
- Add ground apple, remaining ghee and keep cooking for 5 mins. It might splutter, so use a cover initially.
- Once water is evaporated and gets thicker, add sugar. Mix well.
- Continue cooking carefully, until you see ghee oozing out, doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Time to be careful, you will see whitish bubbles (frothy) forming at the bottom as you stir from bottom.
- Continue cooking in medium flame until the whole mixture starts becoming frothy, pale. Add powdered cardamom, nutmeg and cashew nuts. Mix well and switch off the flame.