Aval payasam recipe with jaggery. A traditional dessert which can be prepared quickly too. Learn how to make aval payasam with stepwise images.
Every Friday my mom makes some payasam and does vilakku pooja, till date.
So I have had this gazillion times before marriage. After marriage, I would have made 4 or 5 times, only when someone visits for lunch.
It's very easy to make and ready in less time comparatively. Have seen my mom-in-law making this in microwave oven and she adds sugar, while my mom adds jaggery.
Am loving the jaggery version now a days..hmm..strange…! Used to love the sugar version when my mom used to make. Taste always keeps on changing for me.
I have given both microwave and stove top version. Adopt whichever you are comfortable with.
How to make aval payasam video (Stove top method)
- Heat a pan with teaspoon of ghee firstly and fry the cashews till golden brown and in the same pan, add the aval and fry till golden brown.
2. Secondly, boil 2 cups milk (needs more milk) and add the fried aval to it and cook in medium or low flame till the aval is done. Takes roughly 8 minutes.
3. Boil ½ cup water and add powdered jaggery to it. Heat until dissolved. Filter to remove any impurities.
4. Add the jaggery, cardamom and mix well in low flame. Don’t boil more than a minute as there are chances of curdling of milk.
This was our Friday's payasam at home 🙂
- I have shown here with ¼ cup of Aval (but mentioned the recipe for ½ cup) for microwave method.
- Take a microwavable glass bowl large enough to hold the boiling milk.
- Take the aval and mix half teaspoon ghee with it and microwave in high for 2 minutes .Stir in between to ensure even frying.
4. Add ½ cup of milk, microwave in medium for 3 minutes. By the time it ends,all the milk would have been absorbed by aval.
Then add ½ more cup to the aval and again cook in microwave medium for 3 minutes. By now the aval would have got cooked.
After that, add powdered jaggery, cardamom and mix well. The jaggery will get dissolved in that heat itself.
5. Add more milk to get the desired consistency and just heat for 1 minute in microwave medium.
Let it stand for a minute and stir well.
In another microwavable glass bowl,coat the broken cashews with ghee and microwave in high till golden brown,hardly takes time within a minute. And mix it with the payasam.
Sinfully delicious payasam is ready in minutes 🙂
Aval payasam recipe
- ½ cup Aval rice flakes/ poha
- ¼ cup Jaggery plus 2 tbsp
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cardamom
- 5 cashews
- 2 teaspoon Ghee
- Heat a pan with teaspoon of ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown and in the same pan, add the aval and fry till golden brown.
- Boil 2 cups milk (needs more milk) and add the fried aval to it and cook in medium or low flame till the aval is done. Takes roughly 8 minutes.
- Boil ½ cup water and add powdered jaggery to it. Heat until dissolved. Filter to remove any impurities.
- Add the jaggery, cardamom and mix well in low flame. Don’t boil more than a minute as there are chances of curdling of milk.
- If you want to make it super fast, you can just coarsely grind the poha after frying and make, will be done in no time!
- The jaggery amount is approximate, adjust as per your taste.
- You can add as much as ½ cup jaggery.
- If you feel the jaggery you are using has no impurities, you can use as such.
- Same recipe can be made with sugar too.
- Want to make it vegan? Skip ghee and milk. Use water for cooking poha / aval and finally finish by adding thick extracted coconut milk.
- Do not boil after adding coconut milk. Just heat slightly.
- Cashew nuts can be added roasting in coconut oil (Virgin coconut oil).