Every Friday my mom makes some payasam and does vilakku pooja, till date. so I have had this gazillion times before marriage. After marriage, I would have made 4 or 5 times,only when some one visits for lunch. Its very easy to make and ready in less time comparatively(I always stick,adapt the easier one,lazy me 😉 ). I have seen my mom-in-law making this in microwave oven and she adds sugar,while my mom adds jaggery. I am loving the jaggery version now a days..hmm..strange…! I used to love the sugar version when my mom used to make!! Taste always keeps on changing for me!!
I have given microwave version,step wise picture. But also the method for stove top method,adopt which ever you are comfortable with. Scroll down for stove top method.
How to make aval payasam video (Stove top method)
This was our Friday’s payasam at home 🙂
Method:(For microwave oven)
- I have shown here with ¼ cup of Aval(but mentioned the recipe for ½ cup) for microwave method.
- Take a microwavable glass bowl large enough to hold the boiling milk.
- Take the aval and mix half tsp ghee with it and micro wave in high for 2 minutes .Stir in between to ensure even frying.
- Add ½ cup of milk, microwave in medium for 3 minutes. By the time it ends,all the milk would have been absorbed by aval.
- Add ½ more cup to the aval and again cook in microwave medium for 3 minutes. By now the aval would have got cooked.
- Add powdered jaggery,elachi and mix well. The jagerry will get dissolved in that heat itself.
- Add more milk to get the desired consistency and just heat for 1 minute in microwave medium.
- Let it stand for a minute and stir well.
- In another microwavable glass bowl,coat the broken cashews with ghee and microwave in high till golden brown,hardly takes time within a minute. And mix it with the payasam.
Sinfully delicious payasam is ready in minutes 🙂