Learn how to make aval payasam in cooker with sugar. Easy to prepare and rich in taste prepared using just 3 main ingredients flattened rice, sugar and milk.
I once tasted aval paal payasam in a restaurant and ever since I tasted, I wanted to try it out at home. I also wanted to prepare in cooker and see how it turns out. Instead of boiling and cooking aval in open pot boiling method, I tried giving a whistle in small pressure cooker. It turns out really creamy and rich. Actually my mom in law always makes aval payasam with sugar, in microwave. She adds very less milk, still it turns out great. She adds little milk in the end rather than cooking aval in milk. I have not made that way yet myself here, though have made under her instructions manytimes.
I get many feedback of aval payasam getting curdled while using jaggery. Adding jaggery or jaggery syrup after switching off solves this issue. Later just heat in low flame without boiling in high flame. Otherwise you can use sugar as in this aval payasam recipe.
Step by step recipe method:
- Wash aval well twice to remove any dust in the aval.
- In a small pressure cooker, add aval and milk.
- Give it a whistle and open once pressure reduces.
- Add sugar, cardamom and heat until the sugar dissolves. Switch off the heat.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, roast cashews and add to the payasam.