Learn how to make aval payasam with sugar in cooker. Easy to prepare dessert with rice flakes, sugar, milk as main ingredients and yet rich in taste.
I once tasted aval paal payasam in a restaurant and ever since I tasted, wanted to try it out at home.
Also wanted to prepare in cooker and see how it turns out. Instead of boiling and cooking aval in open pot boiling method, I tried giving a whistle in small pressure cooker.
It turns out really creamy and rich. Actually my mom in law always makes aval payasam with sugar, in microwave.
She adds very less milk, still it turns out great. She adds little milk in the end rather than cooking aval in milk.
I have not made that way yet myself here, though have made under her instructions many times.
I get many feedback of aval payasam getting curdled while using jaggery.
So you can try if you find it difficult, you can use sugar as in this aval payasam recipe.
Step by step photos
1. Wash aval well twice to remove any dust in the aval.
2. In a small pressure cooker, add aval and milk.
3. Give it a whistle and open once pressure reduces.
4. Add sugar, cardamom and heat until the sugar dissolves. Switch off the heat.
5. Heat ghee in a small pan, roast cashews and add to the payasam along with powdered cardamom. Mix well.
Serve aval payasam warm the best.
aval payasam with sugar
- ¼ cup aval rice flakes
- 1 & ½ cup Milk
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 Cardamom powdered (optional)
- Wash aval well twice to remove any dust in the aval.
- In a small pressure cooker, add aval and milk.
- Give it a whistle and open once pressure reduces.
- Add sugar, cardamom and heat until the sugar dissolves. Switch off the heat.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, roast cashews and add to the payasam along with cardamom if adding.
- I used thin aval, so if using thick aval, give 2 whistles.
- If the payasam is thin, just stir and heat for 3 mins on open flame.
- I skipped cardamom, cashew as we like just the milk flavour.