Avarakkai kootu is a simple south Indian vegetable side dish for rice. Made with moong dal, broad beans and a hint of tanginess with tomato. Step by step pictures recipe.
I make broad beans kootu rarely but still was surprised to realize I have not posted avarakkai kootu and avarakkai poriyal in my blog. So thought of posting avarakkai kootu. I usually do not add tomato in kootu. But since I am posting similar kootu recipes always, thought of trying with tomato and post it. It was really good with tomato.
How to make avarakkai kootu step by step pictures:
- Eliminate the tips of the broad beans using a paring knife by cutting a little part and you can also eliminate the excess thick fibre in the sides along. Clean and cut into thin strips.
- Add moong dal in small pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water, broad beans, tomato, turmeric, salt, sugar and sambar powder. Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Meanwhile grind coconut, rice flour and cumin seeds with little water to slightly coarse paste.
- Once the pressure cooking part is done, add the ground coconut mixture.
- Mix well and bring to boil. Temper with mustard, urad dal and curry leaves in oil. Mix into the kootu.
Serve as accompaniment for rice.