Avocado crema with simple ingredients available at pantry. No sour cream, spicy dip with few bullet chillis. Step by step photos.
I love avocado without it's texture. Somehow still I have not developed taste for avocado. Though it's healthy and I get it here effortlessly, not including in my diet. But I am okay when I have it as spread or in a salad in ground form.
Last weekend we had a nachos dinner after seeing a video from epicurious. I knew I am going to post avocado crema the as soon as I saw it. Besides, the name itself is very tempting right? So I hacked the recipe with couple of ingredients and tried.
One is sour cream. I replaced it with hung curd as all sour cream available here has gelatine in it. Two used few bullet chillies to spice it up and suit our taste buds.
Choose blackish dark green skinned avocado. Neither too green nor too black. Big no for soft avocado as it may have gone bad in the inside, you can't be sure. So go for the firm and in-between one in colour. If you are making the next day, leave it in counter top. If it could take couple of days, then you should refrigerate.
Just blend ripe avocado, hung curd, cilantro, green chilli, lemon juice, salt and a splash of milk to adjust consistency.
If you are okay with sour cream you can save some time that preparing hung curd. Black pepper can be used instead of green chilli.
Storage/ Shelf life
It can be stored up to 2 days in fridge. To avoid browning, you should make sure you store in an airtight container. Tap gently and level the surface. Use a cling wrap to cover the surface of avocado. This prevents browning/ discoloration.
Avocado crema recipe
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- 1 avocado
- 1 Lime
- ½ cup Coriander chopped roughly
- 1 cup Curd
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- 4 Chillies I used bullet chilli
How to make hung curd:
- Place a metal strainer over a bowl. Line it with clean kitchen towel.
- Measure 1 cup of curd and pour over the cloth. Gather the ends and hand over the sink. I tied over my tap.
- After minium 1 hour, gently squeeze of excess water. Or you may choose to hang for longer.
- You have thick hung curd now to use in place of sour cream.
- Run the knife along the avocado until you reach the seed. Refer this video to see how.
- Take out the seed. Scoop the avocado.Place it in blender with roughly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add green chilli, lemon juice and salt to it. Along with hung curd.
- Blend well smoothly. Wipe the blender walls in between twice or thrice for even smoothness.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- Choose perfect rip avocado to avoid bitterness.
- It is important to use generous lime juice to balance the taste. Otherwise the avocado's smell will be dominating.
- You can add the zest of lime too if you want it to smell more limey.
How to make hung curd:
Place a metal strainer over a bowl. Line it with clean kitchen towel. Measure 1 cup of curd and pour over the cloth. Gather the ends and hand over the sink. I tied over my tap.
2. After minimum 1 hour, gently squeeze of excess water. Or you may choose to hang for longer. You have thick hung curd now to use in place of sour cream.
3. Run the knife along the avocado until you reach the seed. Refer this video to see how. Take out the seed. Scoop the avocado.
4. Place it in blender with roughly chopped coriander leaves.
5. Add green chilli, lemon juice and salt to it. Add milk along with hung curd. Blend well smoothly. Wipe the blender walls in between twice or thrice for even smoothness. Transfer to serving bowl.
Serve with nacho chips or use it in your burrito, salad etc. You can also simple make Avocado toast by spreading this lavishly over a toast.