Basundi is a milk based dessert with simple ingredients like sugar and nuts. Learn how to make basundi, Full video and step by step pictures.
I have not tasted basundi officially before until, I had last year at my FIL’s 70th birthday party. I have made rabri though. Basundi should not be too thick. Served chilled and can also be served warm with Puri. This is my FIL’s favorite sweet. So, dedicating this post to my mama.
To prepare basundi, you need a little patience, to simmer the milk and scrape the sides, prevent from overflowing and milk getting burnt at bottom. Choose heavy bottomed vessel, always keep attention and follow the steps. You will get perfect results. Personally, Vj likes it without nuts or saffron, just the milk flavour dominating. I will sure prepare such way for him, but this time, wanted to follow the method as such.
How to make basundi video:
- Take a heavy bottomed wide mouthed vessel and boil milk. Add a tiny small plate into the milk, it prevents milk overflowing, as well as getting burnt.
- Take a tablespoon of milk and soak saffron in it. keep aside.
- Simmer for 20 mins. Keep mixing the malai layer that forms on the top of the milk as it forms.
- Add sugar, soaked saffron. Bring to boil.
- Add chopped nuts and simmer for another 5 mins.
- Add powdered cardamom and nutmeg and mix well. Switch off the flame.
Serve chilled the best or have it warm with puri.