Beetroot chutney recipe in south Indian style as side dish for idli dosa. Simple ingredients, tasty and healthy accompaniment with an attractive color.
A spicy beetroot chutney recipe for dosa is always a welcome because of it's added nutritional value as well as it's attractive color.
I had some half beetroot after making stir fry, sitting in fridge. Vj too told he tasted beetroot chutney during his stay and it tasted good.
Actually I had this with crispy roast dosa, Aj too had some and we liked it.
This is the best way to use up that small portion of beetroot if you are wondering what to do with it.
🍲 Serving suggestion
Three different colored, flavored idli with three different colored chutneys will be really attractive right?
Beetroot chutney recipe
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- ½ cup Beetroot grated
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- 4 Red chilli Medium spice
- 1 tablespoon Urad dal
- 3 flakes Garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon Tamarind
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Peel skin of the beetroot firstly and then grate it finely. Get all the other ingredients needed ready.
- Then heat a kadai with oil and first fry urad dal, red chilli. Keep aside.
- After that, add garlic, grated beetroot and cook until soft. Add oil if needed in between.
- Cool down. Firstly grind urad dal, red chilli and salt coarsely.
- Then add cooked beetroot, garlic, coconut, tamarind and grind with little water.
- Finally transfer to serving bowl and temper with items given under to temper and mix well in chutney.
- I love the flavour of urad dal in the vegetable chutneys, though you can try chana dal, roasted gram dal too.
- Garlic adds a good flavour to the chutney. If you want to skip it, you can try asafoetida ⅛ teaspoon in place of garlic.
📸 Step by step photos
- Peel skin of the beetroot, grate it finely. Get all the other ingredients needed ready.
2. Heat a kadai with oil . Add garlic, grated beetroot and cook until soft. Add oil if needed in between. Keep aside
3. Add urad dal, red chilli with little oil and fry until golden. Keep aside.
4. Cool down. First grind urad dal, red chilli and salt coarsely.
5. Add cooked beetroot, garlic, coconut, tamarind and grind with little water.
6. Transfer to serving bowl and temper with items given under to temper and mix well in beetroot chutney.
I had with crisp roast dosa. As I have said earlier, it would be great for mini idli tadka, cocktail idlies to make it even more interesting.