Beetroot chutney recipe in south Indian style as side dish for idli dosa. Simple ingredients, tasty and healthy accompaniment with an attractive colour.
I had some half beetroot after making stir fry, sitting in fridge. Vj too told he tasted beetroot chutney during his stay and it tasted good. So I wanted to try this chutney with the beetroot I had. Actually I had this with crispy roast dosa, Aj too had some and we liked it. But this could be best accompaniment for the cocktail idlies, which I have posted earlier. Three different coloured, flavoured idli with three different coloured chutneys will be really attractive right?
So do check out my cocktail idlies and you can try, serve it with white coconut chutney, orange carrot chutney and this pinkish beetroot chutney. Cool right? 😎
Step by step method
- Peel skin of the beetroot, grate it finely. Get all the other ingredients needed ready.
- Heat a kadai with oil . Add garlic, grated beetroot and cook until soft. Add oil if needed in between. Keep aside
- Add urad dal, red chilli with little oil and fry until golden. Keep aside.
- Cool down. First grind urad dal, red chilli and salt coarsely.
- Add cooked beetroot, garlic, coconut, tamarind and grind with little water.
- Transfer to serving bowl and temper with items given under to temper and mix well in chutney.
I had with crisp roast dosa. As I have said earlier, it would be great for mini idli tadka, cocktail idlies to make it even more interesting.