Instant besan chilla is a crispy crepe made with chickpea flour with paneer stuffed to make a filling, tasty and quick breakfast/ snack or dinner.
I make besan cheela or chilla very often. I love it a lot with all the ingredients we add for making bajji/ pakora. Usually I add rice flour for extra crispiness. I have never tried stuffing paneer in it. I saw several paneer chillas made by soaking and grinding lentils. Thought of making with simply besan. Turned out really tasty and yummy. Aj too just loved it.
I make cheela for dinner with lots of cabbage and at times with left over vegetable that I make for lunch. I can eat as such, no need for side dish too. So when ever I want it more filling, I can stuff paneer and have it. Also makes a great snack for Aj, after zucchini fritters, I am sure Aj is going to ask me often. I adapted the recipe from Here.
Step by step pictures
- Soak paneer in hot water and keep it immersed until soft. Meanwhile chop the ingredients needed.
- Drain water completely from paneer and crumble it. Add chopped onion, tomato, green chilli and coriander leaves to it. Mix.
- For chilla, in a mixing bowl, take besan, rice flour, red chilli powder, turmeric, cumin seeds, cooking soda, pepper powder, salt, curry leaves and mix well.
- Add water and make a thin batter. Heat a tawa and grease with oil. Pour the batter first outer circle and then fill it to make a dosa.
- Let it cook in medium flame and then top it with paneer mixture. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of red chilli and chaat masala powder.
- Once crisp and golden, cover the paneer with the chilli and take out, serve immediately.
Serve hot with green chutney and tomato sauce. I just had with tomato sauce.