South Indian breakfast combo with set dosai, vada curry, chutney and filter coffee. A post to share the idea on how to plan and prepare this menu.
This post is just an idea post on how I prepared this menu as a part of my breakfast menu series. Check individual link for their respective recipes.
Before I went to Chennai this time, for a while I made list of places where I should go, what I should buy, what I should eat etc…
Yes, when ever I go to India, many things will be in my mind that flashes now and then but will forget everything when I go there.
So I made a list. The shops I should go and buy cloths, the restaurant I should go and eat, the places I should go and see… Though I make a big list, I will be able to do only few things.
Still no regrets, there is always the next time. So this time, eating vada curry is one such thing in my to try list in restaurant.
So once when we went to Anna nagar for shopping, we went to Saravana bhavan and I ordered this set dosa with the choice of vada curry.
And this is the first time I am eating vada curry in a restaurant. It was very mild looking and tasting similar to mixed veg kurma.
I could not see any vada in that, everything looked mashed up. I don’t know if that’s how its supposed to be, still loved it.
It was completely different from what I posted here in my website. When I posted that recipe itself, two readers (Vilasini & Viji) had left their recipes, asking me to try and both were very authentic.
I loved that concept of steaming too as its less fat. I guessed that would come out similar to what I tasted in saravana bhavan.
So I tried it that way this time and surprisingly I could totally relate to the vada curry I ate and it was delicious.
And I will post this separately as a new post sure tomorrow or Tuesday. Now on to how I prepared this breakfast menu.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 12 hr | Cook time:1 hr | Serves: 4
- You have to soak and grind for idli/ dosa batter the before day itself and keep the batter ready for next day. The next day, on wake up, soak channa dal for vada curry (mininum 3 hrs).
- After 3 hours, grind and steam for vada curry. While its steaming do the chopping works. Onion and tomato for vada curry and mint chutney. Clean mint leaves for mint chutney.
- Keep all the ingredients like coriander, curry and mint leaves for garnishing, ready. Once the steamed vadas are ready, mash it and keep it ready as well.
- Heat kadai, roast for mint chutney, temper for mint chutney, saute for mint chutney. Cool it as side.
- Next prepare vada curry and let it be simmered in a stove. Meanwhile which you can grind mint chutney.
- Once vada curry is ready, when ever your family is ready for breakfast make dosa hot. Remember, for vada curry, soft thick dosas are perfect match.
Breakfast with vada curry, dosa and chutney. I added up a filter coffee to make it more appealing, but its optional to serve along breakfast.
Check out the recipes