Kathirikai thogayal prepared by roasting the brinjal in fire and grinding it with spices to go well with rice. Step by step pictures recipe.
Sutta kathirikai, the name itself is really fascinating when I know about recipes with brinjal roasted in direct flame. I have already posted couple of recipes, sutta kathirikai chutney and baingan bharta. I loved both in its own ways. I know sutta kathrikai thogayal earlier before trying chutney. But never tried it. I picked this big purple brinjal at Fairprice during my weekly groceries purchase.
But had no idea to make brinjal thogayal 😆😁. Somehow sudden thought to prepare sutta kathirikai thogayal for rice and make recipe post in my blog too. Quick and easy recipe for a Monday post😎.
Brinjal thogayal step by step recipe method:
- Brush the brinjal with oil all over the outside. I cut off the green part (pavadai/ stalk side). Insert a metal skewer through it.
- Place over medium flame, directly over the burners. You can use mesh too. Keep roasting all the sides, turning the brinjal every 1 minute.
- Once all the sides are roasted and inside of the brinjal is cooked, remove from fire. The skewer inserted will loosen as it gets cooked inside, so you will know inside of the brinjal is cooked. Cool down and peel off the charred skin. If you have roasted correctly, it will come off easily. If it is stuck, hard to peel off, it’s not cooked yet. Once all the skin has been peeled off, wash it so as to remove the small pieces of skin stuck to the brinjal.
- Mash the brinjal roughly with your hands, keep aside. In a kadai, heat oil. Roast red chilli, urad dal and asafoetida until urad dal is golden in colour.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender/ mixie along with tamarind, jaggery and salt. Grind smoothly without adding any water. You can choose to grind all except brinjal first and lastly add brinjal and give it a run for a different texture.