Cabbage rice recipe, a quick and easy method with spice powders and cooked rice. You can use leftover rice too and make a hearty meal with goodness of cabbage. Full video and step by step pictures.
From my childhood, I am not good when it comes to eat my vegetables. So as I have said earlier in my posts, my mom used to mix vegetable that she makes as poriyal or curry with hot rice and ghee or sesame oil and makes us eat that first before sambar or kuzhambu sadam. So it will always be first lots of vegetable and a small portion of rice mixed with ghee. Followed by sambar/ kuzhambu sadham and mor sadham.
I never make vegetable rice like these earlier as I mix poriyal/ curry with rice and eat. But thought these mixed vegetable rice can be a great option for one pot meals and use up leftover rice as well. Or even to people like me who like to eat hot food. Can use up the leftover rice and prepare vegetable rice and have it hot. Checkout my beautiful beetroot rice recipe 😉
Step by step cabbage rice recipe method:
- Shred cabbage using a sharp mandoline slicer. If not, you can choose to use knife to cut into thin strips or finely chop too.
- Heat a pan with oil and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Add 1 tsp of each urad dal and chana dal. Let it roast crisp.
- Add 2 slit Green chilli and 1 tbsp of very finely chopped ginger. Add 1 finely chopped onion and stir fry for a minute. Add 2 cups of shredded cabbage.
- Add 1 tsp of each chilli and coriander powders and 1/4 tsp turmeric. Mix well for a minute.
- Cook covered for 2 minutes in medium flame or low flame, until cabbage is cooked. Add cooked rice, required salt and 2 tsp of ghee.
- Mix well. Switch off flame and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.