Carrot sambar recipe with garlic, makes a flavourful sambar. Learn how to make carrot sambar – delicious, tangy sambar with full video & step by step pictures.
We usually make paruppu rasam with loads of crushed garlic, sambar powder and we love it a lot. Dal with crushed garlic gives a great flavour. If you have already tried the recipe, then you must sure try this carrot sambar too. If you have not tried, trust me and go ahead, try this sambar with garlic. I had this sambar in a restaurant and could easily figure out the sambar had crushed garlic, so immediately tried it at home and turned out exactly same.
Adding 3 tomatoes and jaggery also adds deliciousness to the sambar and it turns out perfectly balanced.
How to make carrot sambar step by step:
- Pressure cook 1/3 cup toor dal with, asafoetida, 1 & 1/2 cup water for 4-5 whistles.
- Soak tamarind and extract tamarind juice. I usually cook tamarind along dal for easy extraction. Total tamarind juice measurement 1 & 1/2 cup – 2 cups.
- Slice an onion, slit 2 green chilli, chop 3 small sized tomato and crush 6 cloves of peeled garlic. Cook a sliced carrot in 1 & 1/2 cup water.
- In a pan, heat 2 tsp oil, when hot, add 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1/2 tsp mustard, a generous pinch of asafoetida.
- Once mustard splutters, add chilli, curry leaves, onion and tomato.
- Stir fry for a minute. By now carrot would have cooked. Add tamarind extract, fried onion tomato to it and bring to boil. Add turmeric, 1 tsp sambar powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, salt and crushed garlic.
- Add cooked dal plus extra 1 cup water and boil well for 4- 5 mins or until thick. As it cools down, gets slightly thicker, so off accordingly. Garnish with coriander , curry leaves.