Cauliflower potato soup for a filling dinner or lunch idea. This is such a creamy, silky soup with out even using cream. Super easy to prepare as well.
You can make it any time of the day or year, not that a winter soup.
Check out my sweet potato soup and my beetroot soup recipe with crispy chickpeas topping in this website. Goes well with this onion focaccia.
I have never thought of this combination of cauliflower soup with potato.
Once my friend Sangeeta asked me to guess a picture of soup what it is. And it was cauliflower potato soup.
I referred this recipe from vegetarian about site, but the recipe was vegan.
I tried a simpler way and it turned out to be rich and tasty. Loved the color of the soup mainly, it something that makes it rich in look.
Why I love this
To be honest, I am not a fan of both potato as well as cauliflower. Not a fan of soup either!
But this combo as soup did won my heat and best way to consume the vegetable I do not like.
More over, it is best to prepare in bulk for later use and freeze as portions.
Stays good in fridge for 3 days and freezes upto 3 months (store after cooling down completely)
Here are some game changing variations you can make in this soup.
- Add any herb like a pinch of dried Thyme, parsley or even fresh coriander. You can add along and blend or top it.
- For vegan version, swap butter with olive oil or coconut oil.
- To make more nutritious, use vegetable stock instead of water.
The soup by itself is filling and satiates you easily. But if you like you can top with some handful of cooked pasta.
Or a rustic bread toast can be perfect.
- I used my small pressure cooker for this, you can do this in a heavy bottomed soup pan too. Heat butter, add bay leaf, followed by garlic and onion. Fry in medium or low flame until onion turns transparent. Make sure not to change the color. Add chopped potato, cauliflower and fry for 2 mins in medium or low flame with constant stirring to make sure not to change the color of anything.
- Add 2 cups water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Once done, discard the bay leaf, using a hand blender, grind it smoothly. Reheat if needed. Add pepper generously.
Potato adds such a nice richness and thickness to the soup. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Cauliflower potato soup recipe
- 1 Potato
- 1 Cauliflower 2 cups of florets approximately
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 Bay leaf I used Indian biryani leaf
- Salt as needed
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper or as needed
- I used my small pressure cooker for this, you can do this in a heavy bottomed soup pan too. Heat butter, add bay leaf, followed by garlic and onion.
- Fry in medium or low flame until onion turns transparent. Make sure not to change the color.
- Add chopped potato, cauliflower and fry for 2 mins in medium or low flame with constant stirring to make sure not to change the color of anything.
- After that add 2 cups water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Once done, discard the bay leaf, using a hand blender, grind it smoothly.
- Reheat if needed. Add pepper generously.
- If you dont have a hand blender, strain the pressure cooked potato cauliflower in a metal strainer, cool down, grind smoothly and add it to the strained water and heat again.
- In case you want to skip potato, add 1 tablespoon of maida/ all purpose flour after you fry cauliflower, give it a fry for minute and then proceed.
Such an creamy, healthy and easy to make soup to warm up these winter nights. love it!
Looks absolutely inviting Raji .....very lovely soup 🙂
Perfect creamy soup for Winter...
Yummy and creamy soup....
Looks sooo yummy and very easy too..
great recipe.. just loved the taste. Thanks.
Raji, I Was breaking my head over a cauliflower I overcooked. Thanks to you, the cauliflower turned into soup instead of ending up in the trash can. 🙂
I am not a soup-lover but I am enjoying this cauliflower-potato soup so much, that I wish to try more of your soup recipes !
Thanks a bunch & longlive Rakskitchen. :))