A delicious channa masala recipe with potato. Tomato, coriander leaves ginger ground and added to the gravy, makes it unique and delicious! A recipe contribution from my friend Sangeeta. Both turns out really tasty.
The chana masala recipe is very special and unique to me as this doesn’t have garlic but very flavorful as we grind and add coriander leaves, ginger and chilli.
This is also similar to aloo bhindi gravy. Potato adds taste and texture to the gravy, thickens the gravy too.
At times I just give it a whistle instead of boiling the gravy after step7. Just make sure to watch out the water content.
I love chana masala to be served with fresh cut onion, fried green chilli or green chilli pickle. First let me share chana masala with potato recipe.
chana masala with potato
- ¾ cup Channa
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 potato big
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder Adjust accordingly as u are adding green chillies with tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala or channa masala 1 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- Salt as per your taste
- 2 Tomato
- 3 Green chilli
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 sprigs Coriander leaves (two plants, roots cut off)
- Soak Channa overnight.
- Boil channa with potato in cooker adding Little salt until soft. Peel potato, mash roughly.
- In a pan add oil,fry bay leaf,add the onions,fry till light brown
- Now add the mashed potato and mix well.
- Add the tomato mixture and the masala powders. Mix till it leaves oil.
- Add the boiled channa. mix well
- Add water (u can also add the water in which we boiled channa) according to the consistency required
- Boil the channa for 10 mints in low flame or give it a whistle in small pressure cooker in medium flame.
1. Soak Channa overnight.
2. Boil channa in cooker adding Little salt until soft.
3. In a pan add oil,fry bay leaf,add the onions,fry till light brown
4.Now add the mashed potato and mix well.
5. Add the tomato mixture and the masala powders. Mix till it leaves oil.
6. Add the boiled channa. mix well
7. Add water (u can also add the water in which we boiled channa) according to the consistency required
8. Boil the channa for 10 mints in low flame.
9.Serve with batura.
Maida – 2 cups
Wheat flour – 1 hand
Curd – 2 tablespoon
Salt,water – As needed
- Knead the dough and set aside for min 15 mins. Knead again and divide the dough.
- Roll into desired size, bit thicker than our normal pooris and fry the baturas in hot oil.
- Serve with channa masala!
Only two days for the New Year to come,and at this point I am very happy to announce you that I am hosting an event for the first time in my blog and the credit goes to Srivalli of Cooking4allseasons!! Yes! For the next fresh month January of the very new year 2009, I am going to host the event of Microwave Easy cooking, fondly referred as MEC.So far,this event has been very useful and a hit among the bloggers…thanks to Srivalli,for bringing up a nice theme:)Hope you all will send me entries that will overflow my mail box!
And the Theme is MEC: Paneer…..
To participate in this event, please make sure of the below points:
1. Cook any dish in Microwave using Paneer. It can be a starter, Main Course, Side dish or Sweets/Dessert.
2. Link back to this post and MEC: Announcement.
3.Kindly use the attached Logo.
4.Send in your entries with MEC:Paneer as subject line, with the below details:
Last date for sending in your entries is Jan 31st.
Round-up of the event will be posted on February 1st week.
You can send as many entries as you want,and if you already have a dish in your blog which satisfies the needs of the event,you can send that also,but kindly repost it in your blog for the event!
5.Non blogger’s entries also are welcome! Send your recipe and picture of the dish to the given mail ID…
I am not able to post my recipes this month and missed some of your posts also,kindly bear with me for another 2 weeks,I will be back as usual!!!
WISHING ALL MY FELLOW BLOGGERS AND READERS A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!!!