Onion chutney with small onions – chinna vengayam (shallots) and curry leaves, without tomato and coconut. A delicious south Indian chutney side dish for idli, dosa.
I like to try different south Indian chutneys for idli dosa, mainly for idli as we have idli for almost 4 days in a week. Never get bored of idlies these days. Since onion tomato chutney is family favorite, I make it often. But it needs tomato and coconut. Both will not be available some times and I started making this small onion chutney for quite a while now. I add curry leaves and garlic too for extra flavour. I always use tomato and coconut a lot and small onions will always be in stock as I use it sparingly. It comes handy when tomato and coconut is not in stock, make this simple yummy chutney.
Step by step pictures
- In a kadai, add red chilli and fry until deep red in colour.
- Add garlic, small onion and fry till it turns golden in colour.
- Add curry leaves, tamarind to it and give it a fry until curry leaves turn fragrant.
- Cool down this and transfer to a mixer. Add salt, jaggery and very little water and grind.
- Temper with the items given under to temper table and mix with the chutney.
Serve with hot idlis or even goes well with dosa.