Step by step pictures
- Soak basmati rice for 10 – 15 minutes, and fry it with 1/4 tsp ghee in a kadai and keep aside. This helps in giving separate grains.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel or cooker, add 1 tbsp of ghee. Add cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, followed by green chilli and onion.
- Fry until onion turns transparent and then add the cut vegetables, followed by mint,coriander leaves and the powders(Red chilli,garam masala,turmeric). Add little salt to the vegetables and fry for another two minutes in medium flame.
- Add water,coconut milk ,salt tvo this and stir well. I used coconut milk powder,you can also use readymade coconut milk avaialable at stores. If using powder,add the powder after you add 2 cups water to the veggies and add it before the water starts boiling,to avoid forming any lumps.
- Add the basmati rice and when it starts boiling,simmer the stove and cook covered for 12 -14 mins. Or you can give two whistles.
Serve hot with any raita!