Coconut rice is a simple south Indian variety rice with a burst of flavors from fresh coconut and coconut oil. Learn how to make coconut rice also known as thengai sadam with goodness of urad dal.
My brother is a big fan of coconut rice that my mom makes, I too just love it. Its very flavorful and simple to make too. Mom adds lots of soaked, roasted urad dal to this rice, which makes it protein rich. Always the roasted urad dal and coconut is a winning combo, just like in coconut thogayal.
Recently I tasted coconut rice in a restaurant which is the very first time I tasted coconut rice other than mom’s. It had lots of light coconut oil, topped with cashew nuts. Using edible coconut oil or ghee enhances the flavor of coconut rice (thengai sadam).
Amma adds green chilli in her coconut rice, I love it, but red chillies also add a great flavour if added along tempering with asafoetida.
Coconut rice recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe category: Lunch
Prep Time: 1 hr soaking time | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
Rice – 1 cup
Urad dal (white) – 1/4 cup
Coconut, grated – 1/2 cup
Salt – As needed
Ghee – 1 tsp
Coconut Oil /ghee – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 3/4 tsp
cashew nuts – 6
Green or red chilli – 4
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Cook rice with ratio 1:2 (adjust the water ratio according to the rice variety you use) for 3 – 4 whistles. Add a tsp of ghee and required salt and fluff the rice.
- Soak urad dal for 1 hour, drain the water and dry roast it in a pan until its turns golden brown and nice aroma wafts
- You can skip this step and add the urad dal while tempering too, but make sure to keep enough oil for tempering.
- Heat the pan with oil,temper with the items given under the ‘To temper’ table in order.Add the coconut and roasted urad dal and just give it a stir for 1/2 minute.
- Add cooked rice to it and mix well.
- Top with remaining ghee, drizzle with generous coconut oil as garnish.
- Roasting the urad dal well is a must, otherwise it will become chewy.
- Coconut oil is recommended as it lends a lot of flavur to the recipe. Make sure to use virgin coconut oil and use more without any guilt – 3 tbsp for this recipe.
- Do not use hands for mixing as coconut rice tends to get spoiled easily.
- Make sure to roast coconut well, this prevents from spoiling soon. Also adding lots of oil prevents spoiling.
Enjoy the flavorful rice with vadavams or any tomato based tangy curry.