Corn tortilla chips recipe from scratch, is gluten free with just 3 main ingredients. Step by step photos.
I had a recipe long time to try that I saved from a public forum. But it was not a gluten free. Then found this simple recipe.
Just yellow corn flour/ makki ki atta (masa harina) and water, salt. Simple and flavorful result.
I shared this recipe for my step by step series in Kungumam thozhi magazine.
Thought I could use this recipe to schedule when I am in vacation. If you are a fan of tortilla chips, do try this for snack.
I tried a cheese dip too, but have only step by step pictures for it. So will share later.
Corn tortilla recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Mexican | Recipe Category: Snack
Prep Time: 1 Hr | Cook time: 12 mins | Serves: 3
Masa harina/ yellow corn flour/ Makki ki atta - 1 cup
Salt - ¼ tsp
Hot water - as needed
- Mix corn flour, salt and add required hot water to knead to a soft dough. Keep aside for 1 hour.
2. After an hour, knead again and divide into 4 equal sized balls. Use any fine flour (like rice or white corn starch) to dust and roll into flat discs like we do for roti.
I used all purpose flour for dusting. But as I said any gluten free flour should work.
3. Heat a tawa and toast the rolled tortilla in medium flame without changing its colour.
4. Cool down and cut into triangles.
5. Pre heat oven at 190 deg C and bake it at the same temperature for 6 mins first.
Then flip and bake for another 6 mins or until the tortillas turn crisp.
- This yellow corn flour is sold as masa harina or makki ki atta in the stores. It is slightly corase in structure.
- The dough should be non sticky yet soft.
- The rolled tortilla will look with cracked edges, but don't worry about it.
- You can deep fry the chips instead baking. But make sure to cook slowly to make it crisp.
- You can reduce the baking temperature by 10 deg C if you find the colour too dark.
Serve with tomato salsa or any cheesy dip or sour cream dip.