Dal khichdi is a simple and comfort meal made with moong dal in this easy recipe. Learn how to make perfect moong dal khichdi. Step by step photos, Instant pot version video included.
I am trying and tasting dal khichdi for the first time in my life. Whenever someone says I had dal khichdi for lunch, I will be so so very much tempted to taste.
I wanted to try for long time but I had no idea about how to make khichdi.
I browsed online too sometime back, but everything had ginger garlic paste, whole garam masalas, which I was imagining myself how it would be if we add all these things to south Indian pongal.
But Sangeeta told me a recipe recently and which was very simple and it suit my taste as well.
I wanted to try for few days but today was the day to try. I think this is a apt one pot meal for a rainy, lazy day or when sick, this is so light in your tummy.
A comfort meal that you can make with less effort. Beginners, you can make it all by yourselves by following the recipe.
Kids would love with ghee and its loaded with proteins, carbs with added veggies to make you feel full and energized. I will make this often for myself here after.
Dal khichdi recipe
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- ½ cup Rice
- ½ cup Moong dal
- 4 & ½ cups Water
- ¾ cup Mixed vegetables chopped
- 2 Tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves chopped
- Salt - As needed
- 2 tablespoon Oil/ ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Finely chopped
- 2 Green chilli chopped
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
- Wash and soak rice and dal together for half hour.
- Meanwhile prep the other ingredients needed.
- Once ½ hour is up, in a pressure cooker, take soaked dal and rice with turmeric, vegetables and ½ the salt.
- Bring everything to boil and close the lid, put the pressure valve after steam comes.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Make sure you use a big pressure cooker. I used my pot shaped cooker. After first whistle, put the flame to medium.
- Heat a kadai and temper with cumin, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and give it a stir.
- Add tomatoes, remaining salt, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and garam masala.
- Fry until mushy and oil separates. By now the rice, dal, veggies will be done. Open the cooker and mash well.
- Add the tomato with other masalas we fried, to it and mix well.
- If you want, you can let it cook together for couple of minutes, or just mix and have it.
- I used 5 beans, 1 small carrot and ½ cup green peas. Can add potato too.
- You can skip garam masala.
- Keep ½ cup hot water ready, if the kichdi is too dry, you can add it and mix.
- Gives so much volume, so make sure you add salt accordingly.
- Soaking is really important.
- You can pressure cook and while its getting cooked, chop the other ingredients needed.
Stove top method
- Firstly, wash and soak rice and dal together for half hour and transfer to a pressure cooker with turmeric, vegetables and ½ the salt.
- Bring everything to boil and close the lid. Put the pressure valve after steam comes and let it go for 3 whistles.
- Make sure you use a big one. After first whistle, put the flame to medium.
4. Finely chop tomato, slit green chillies. Heat a kadai and temper with jeera, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves and give it a stir. Add tomatoes, add remaining salt, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and garam masala.
5. Fry until mushy and oil separates. By now the rice, dal, veggies will be done. Open and mash well.
6. Add the tomato with other masalas we fried, to it and mix well. Dal khichdi ready!
Instant pot method
1. Take rice and dal in a bowl and wash firstly well.
2. Soak for 30 minutes in enough water.
3. After that, press Saute mode in Normal for 15 minutes.
4. Then add ghee. In goes cumin seeds followed by chopped green chilli, ginger and curry leaves.
5. After that, add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala powder. Sprinkle little salt to sweat.
6. Continue to fry for a minute.
7. Now add vegetables and finely chopped coriander leaves.
8. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Pour in water, required salt and the rice dal mixture drained from water.
9. Cancel saute, close with lid. Press Porridge mode, High pressure, Normal for 20 minutes.
10. Once timer is up, let it stand for 15 minutes., After that, release the rest of pressure.
11. Open and mash well.
12. Serve immediately hot with generous drizzle of ghee.
Perfect for a rainy cold day, serve always hot. Tastes great as such, but you can have dal khichdi with curd, pickle or even dahi kadhi.