An easy and short cut version of the south Indian breakfast arisi upma, prepared with broken rice available in stores. My version of arisi upma, is using arisi noi(Means broken rice), is a simpler version which has very few ingredients and can be done in a jiffy!
Some days you don’t feel like spending more time in cooking right? That time with very less time spending in kitchen you can do this…That too I use electric rice cooker for this. so it comes out really fluffy, no worries if you would mess up in turning it mushy.
Check out my arisi upma from scratch, the traditional way.
And side dish thengai (coconut) thogayal ,is a perfect combo for this. So here we go for the recipes:
|Urad dal||2 tbsp|
You can increase the urad dal and decrease coconut accordingly.
- Fry urad dal and red chillies, till golden brown and cool down.
- Wet the tamarind in water and microwave in high for 20 – 30 seconds, to make it soft ( gets ground evenly).
- First add all the items without water and grind it in the mixer.
- Then add the required water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Consistency should be thick like thogayal.. This needs no tempering…Don’t you think its simple
And this tastes divine with a divine flavour!!!
Arisi/Rice Upma :
Here’s picture of broken rice,its available in grocery stores….
|Broken rice||1 cup|
|Water||2 ,1/4 cups|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal||2 tsp|
|green or red chillies||3|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Wash the rice and add the required water and salt in the electric rice cooker and mix well.
- Also temper with items in the “To Temper” table…mix well.
- Cook as usual you cook rice in electric rice cooker, once done open and mix well.
- Now its all ready!!
- OPTIONAL: You can add little coconut gratings or just a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix well, after opening the cooker.
- But this tastes simply superb!