Eggless blooming onion recipe, an easy batter with simple ingredients available at home, without egg. A fancy snack that not only looks pretty, also it turns out delicious.
Blooming onion snack is known to me only in recent few years. But the technique of cutting onion like a lotus is not new to me. When I saw blooming onion videos, I have thought, I knew this way of cutting onion and thought only will be used as decoration while presenting a dish.
I have also done this in my corn kebab pictures. But making a snack out of it, is new to me. All the recipes are with egg based batter. I tried making it eggless and turned out really yummy. Batter coated onion, deep fried cannot go wrong! You can take it as fancy version of our onion bajji.
I made this eggless blooming onion recipe for Aval kitchen 3rd Anniversary special edition.
Step by step pictures
- Cut off the top, bottom of onion. Peel off the skin. Leave the onion intact at the bottom, cut into 8 or 10 from the top, depending on size of onion. Care should be taken not to cut fully. Carefully separate each petals..
- Take maida in a mixing bowl. Coat onions in it thoroughly. Set aside.
- Add rest of the ingredients except oil to the bowl and make a batter. Coat the onions in batter.
- Dust it with bread crumbs. Heat oil side by side for deep frying. Once oil is hot, deep fry the onions one by one. Cook in medium flame.
- Keep pouring oil over the top while frying to ensure even browning. Once golden, drain over paper towels.
Serve hot with tomato sauce or your favorite dip.