Eggless chocolate cake recipe, moist, soft and vegan recipe with step by step pictures. Simple ingredients, easy preparation for beginners in baking.
One fine day, when we had Vj’s friend came home for lunch, he bought brownies from ‘Famous Amos’ for us. People won’t believe me if I say that was the first time I ever tasted a brownie in my life!
That’s because I have no love towards chocolate and chocolate cakes and all those dark brown stuffs. I just hate them to touch. But the instant I tasted those brownies, I fell in love with them and I crave for chocolate cakes and brownies now!
The good news is it’s no butter or no egg. So I was again waiting for the opportunity to bake this and blog here.
I baked this on the event of a bake sale for a good cause in my Kid’s school. I first saw eggless chocolate cake Sharmis blog as she quoted this no less than brownie. This recipe is very popular, I think many of our blogger friends have tried this before and posted too!
The bownie I tasted was dense, rich and sweeter. Still, this cake is a must in my blog as I am a beginner in baking.. But I must say about the texture, its super soft, spongy and moist. A must try, simple to do yet yummy cake🤤.
Recipe source : Chow times –( I just halved the recipe)
Instead of all purpose flour, you can try wheat flour. But the liquid quantity will vary slightly. You may need to add couple of more tbsp of water. Also the texture might be slightly dense.
I used sunflower oil, if you want you can replace it with virgin coconut oil. I love coconut oil’s flavor in my chocolate cake. But it won’t be over powering. So no worries.
Since I had no vinegar at home, I used lemon juice. You can replace it with white or apple cider.
💭 Top tip
Even though I have not used lining sheet, you can try butter paper a the bottom alone for easy unmolding. Non stick baking tray should work fine without lining. Just make sure to use a baking spray or oil to grease.
Keep the pan over a wet cloth for easy and quick un molding. Long time leaving in pan results in watery base.
Can this be baked in Microwave oven?
Cake can be baked in combination oven. This recipe is for baking in convection mode. Not in microwave mode.
Can this be made in pressure cooker?
Yes. Just like reader Divya have explained in the comments section, you can bake this cake in pressure cooker. These are the steps:
- Heat the pressure cooker dry for 10 mins in medium heat.
- Place the plate coming with pressure cooker or trivet inside.
- Carefully keep the baking pan inside it and close with lid without gasket.
- In low flame, bake for 40 mins.
Why my cake tastes weird – baking soda taste or bitter?
Problem is with the baking soda. Make sure to use fresh stock, good quality like bakeking or Bobs Redmill.
Baking the cake in Microwave mode makes it burn or bitter too. Putting the baking tin in microwave mode will give sparks, cake gets done in 3-4 mins too, but this recipe is not for doing in microwave mode.
Cake not baked in the middle
Oven temperature not right or baking tin is not right measurement. My tin is 8 inch square tin.
Top layer crisp, chewy
Do not bake in top rack, middle rack will be perfect. Make sure both heating elements are on. Try reducing baking temperature by 10 deg C. Do check if you are setting temperature in F or C.
📋 You may also like
Eggless chocolate cake recipe
- 1.5 cups Plain flour All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Coco powder I used Hershey's
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Oil I used sunflower oil
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Mix the plain flour, coco powder and baking soda and sieve them to ensure even mixing. Keep aside.
- Mix water, sugar, salt and make sure the sugar gets dissolved and then add lemon juice/ vinegar, oil and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the sifted flour and mix well.
- Grease a baking pan with oil and dust with some flour, then pour the batter to it. (the batter will be watery)
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Mine got baked at 35 minutes.
- After done, cool down the cake for 5 minutes and then invert in a wire rack, let it get cooled completely and then cut into pieces.
- When I tried inverting the cake immediately last time I had some broken pieces, so this time I waited for some time and then invert the cake in wire rack. Don't let it cool down for more than 15 minutes.
- If you are a beginner like me, do not experiment with the measures and ingredients, just follow it right and you will always get it right. Experiment with your own risk.
- Baking powder is not equivalent to baking soda, so do not replace it.
📸 Step by step photos
1. Firstly, pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C.
2. Mix flour, coco powder, baking soda and sieve them to ensure even mixing. Keep aside.
3. Then, in another bowl, mix water, sugar, salt and make sure the sugar gets dissolved. Then add lemon juice/ vinegar, oil and vanilla extract and mix well. Add the sifted flour and mix well.
4. Grease a baking pan with oil and dust with some flour, then pour the batter to it. (the batter will be watery)
5. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Mine got baked at 35 minutes.
8. Once done, cool down the cake for 5 minutes and then invert in a wire rack.
9. Let it get cooled completely and then cut into pieces.
When I tried inverting the cake immediately last time I had some broken pieces, so this time I waited for some time and then invert the cake in wire rack. Don’t let it cool down for more than 15 minutes.
10. Eggless chocolate cake is ready for the Bake sale!! Finally, I kept the pieces in the muffin liners and arranged it like below for the sale.
Try this simple to bake cake yourself and let me know the results.