Eggless pineapple upside down cake, easy method with step by step photos for beginners. Recipe without condensed milk.
No caramelizing separately, just one pan baking, with tinned pineapple and glazed cherry. Perfect for dessert in your dinner party or a special dinner.
Check out my eggless strawberry cake recipe and eggless honey cake recipe in my website.
I have used tinned pineapple, glazed cherry for this recipe.
- Pineapple slices
- Glazed cherry
- Brown sugar
For full list of ingredients and measurements check recipe card.
I adapted an yellow cake recipe with egg, so I used substitute in place of eggs.
In this case, it is Psyllium husk. How to replace egg with psyllium husk?
For one egg, you can use
1 teaspoon pf psyllium husk + 3 tablespoon of water
For this particular recipe, I have used accordingly. So refer recipe card for measurements.
Other options: Yogurt or flax meal.
For pineapple upside down cake, I referred this video. I cut down brown sugar and butter part.
I added a splash of coconut essence in my batter and loved it’s flavor. Just because I had it haha. So I am not mentioning in my recipe card.
My cake was too thin as I halved the recipe. If you want a tall cake, you can double the measurement using the recipe card feature.
In that case, the baking time also increases, it takes 30-40 mins. You can keep an eye after 30 mins, insert a tooth pick to check for doneness.
- Do not use spring foam pan as the butter and sugar at the bottom will leak and spoil the oven.
- If the top of the cake browns faster, you can lay an aluminium foil on top, after you find it browning fast (not form beginning).
- Overbaking will make the sides hard and chewy. Also the butter + brown sugar mixture will turn too dark.
This is my second attempt. First attempt, everything went wrong, right from recipes to everything.
I chose spring foam pan, so the butter and sugar leaked in the oven collection tray. Over time, it started smoking as it got burnt.
I added excess water to batter as I thought batter was thick. But for a cake like this which has a moist bottom, it is not necessary I forgot.
The texture was too gooey.
I used a wrong oil and the cake was smelling like it.
Also it was too sweet so this time I cut down into half.
How much is the pre-heating temperature and timing?
Usually the pre heat temperature is same as baking temperature. So in this case it is 180 0 C
How much is 180 Degree C in F?
It’s roughly 350 F.
Which baking tray did you use?
I used a non stick one. If you are using metal, you can use a butter paper at bottom.
Baking tray measurements: 8 * 8 inch
Can we do this recipe it in microwave mode?
This recipe is for convection mode. If you want you can bake it in a combination oven but in convection mode only. Also use a pan which is recommended for it.
Understand the difference between microwave mode and ‘Baking in convection mode’ in a microwave combination oven.
Microwave mode only will take around 5-10 mins. Hope you get it.
Substituting fresh pineapple with tinned?
I have not personally tried this, so not sure about it. But I am sure if you google it you can find to get an idea. Later proceed with this recipe.
Can I bake this cake in pressure cooker?
Yes you can bake in pressure cooker or a kadai with lid. Heat it for 20 mins empty first.
Optionally you can also spread rock salt or sand in the bottom while pre heating.
Place a trivet / stand over it once done. Place the cake for baking over it and cook covered for 30 mins or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
No gasket should be used as well as whistle. Same way can be followed in a kadai.
Safety : Please use oven gloves and safely handle while baking, both in oven as well as cooker.
Keep refrigerated and consume within 2 days.
Eggless pineapple upside down cake
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ tablespoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Oil
- ¼ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Pineapple juice Drained from tin
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract or ¼ teaspoon essence
- 5 Pineapple slices
- 5 Glazed cherries
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Melted butter
- ½ tablespoon Psyllium husk
- 4.5 tablespoon Water
- Pre heat oven at 180 0 C for 15 minutes firstly.
- Mix psyllium husk with water well and keep aside½ tablespoon Psyllium husk, 4.5 tablespoon Water
- Take the baking pan and add melted butter, spread as a layer covering the bottom.2 tablespoon Melted butter
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over it.¼ cup Brown sugar
- Place 4 pineapple slices in each corner and one in middle. Fill the pineapple slice's center with glazed cherry. Set aside.5 Pineapple slices, 5 Glazed cherries
- In a mixing bowl take all the dry ingredients. Mix well using whisk.1 cup All purpose flour, ¾ cup Sugar, ½ tablespoon Baking powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking soda, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Take another mixing bowl and add all the wet ingredients. Add psyllium husk mix in it.¼ cup Oil, ¼ cup Milk, ¼ cup Pineapple juice, 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- Mix well with the whisk.
- Add this to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter over arranged pineapple slices in the baking tray to cover it.
- Tap gently and place it in the pre heated oven (Middle rack)
- Bake for 25- 30 mins. Keep an eye after 20 mins. Check by inserting a tooth pick carefully in the middle to see if it comes out clean. If it does then it is done.
- Invert over a wire rack with tray and let it be for 10 mins.
- It will easily come off and you can now cut into slices. Slice as squares and serve.
- You can double the measurement but baking time increases accordingly. Mine was thin cake but was perfect for 3 of us.
1. Pre heat oven at 180 0 C for 15 minutes firstly. Keep all ingredients ready.
2. Mix psyllium husk with water well and keep aside.
3. Take the baking pan and add melted butter, spread as a layer covering the bottom.
4. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over it.
5. Place 4 pineapple slices in each corner and one in middle. Fill the pineapple slice’s center with glazed cherry. Set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl take all the dry ingredients. Mix well using whisk.
7. Take another mixing bowl and add all the wet ingredients. Add psyllium husk mix in it.
8. Mix well with the whisk.
9. Add this to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
10. Pour the batter over arranged pineapple slices in the baking tray to cover it.
11. Tap gently and place it in the pre heated oven (Middle rack)
12. Bake for 25- 30 mins. Keep an eye after 20 mins. Check by inserting a tooth pick carefully in the middle to see if it comes out clean. If it does then it is done.
13. Invert over a wire rack with tray and let it be for 10 mins.
14. It will easily come off and you can now cut into slices.
15. Slice as squares and serve.
Enjoy eggless pineapple upside down cake!