elai kozhukattai recipe with flavourful, delicious jackfruit sweet stuffing. Step by step pictures for easy understanding. Jackfruit/ palapazham cooked with jaggery and coconut to make a stuffing to prepare elai kozhukattai.
For past 3 years I have this elai kozhuakttai in my to try list, after I got the idea from a picture. I believe the picture was ela adai, kerala version. I was bit hesitant to try as I thought it would be difficult or something complicated. I don’t know, even after making elai vadam, why I was that much hesitant to make ela adai.
But for this Ganesh chaturthi, I thought I should make this elai kozhukattai version atleast and I was so determined I should use jackfruit sweet stuffing, because of that picture tempted me, which is still in my mind. I guess the ela adai version had more thin outer cover as it uses batter. I made my kozhukattai too, thin and thanks to the idiyappam brand I use, it gives so soft and smooth outer layer. Loved it so much, after my jackfruit payasam. I am so in love with jackfruit and jaggery sweet.
I have a chakka varatti halwa recipe too, which I will share soon. Meanwhile, do try this jackfruit stuffed elai kozhukattai, sure you will impress everyone, enjoy yourself as well.
How to make elai kozhukattai step by step pictures
- First, prepare the jackfruit stuffing. Separate the seed and thin skin around it. Roughly tear, divide into 2-3. Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame, in a vessel with a tbsp of water sprinkled.
- Cool down and grind to a paste.
- Heat a pan with ground paste, jaggery, grated coconut and cardamom.
- Stir until it is thick. Add a tsp of ghee at the end. I let the stuffing to be loose in texture.
- For dough, boil water well. In a mixing bowl, take rice flour. Add sesame oil, required salt to it. Add boiling hot water to the flour and mix with a ladle.
- Once warm enough to handle, grease you hands and knead to a smooth dough. Divide into equal small lemon sized balls.
- To make elai kozhukattai, cut the banana leaf into small sheets. Refer notes for important tips. Grease with oil. Place rolled dough ball and flatten to thin round. Place 2 tsp of prepared jackfruit stuffing.
- Fold in such a way that the other part exactly covers the stuffing. Gently press the leaf towards the outer edge to seal. Place in idli pot plate/ steamer and steam cook for 8 minutes.
- Once done, you can take out the kozhukattai immediately. It comes off easily. You can re use the leafs to finish the dough.
Enjoy the soft, flavourful kozhukattais hot or at room temperature. It tastes heavenly.