When I posted homemade Pizza, Lavi told to try focaccia. Focaccia, if its new to you is nothing but flat bread.
There are a whole lot of variations that can be done with the basic plain Focaccia.
It can be as simple as plain with only flour, salt and oil or can be topped with onion (like this recipe I am sharing), rosemary, olives, cherry tomatoes, potatoes or sometimes even cheese.
Which one is your favourite? Even the thickness and size can vary. If you are a beginner in baking, you can sure try this as its really a basic recipe to try😊.
I took the recipe from a cookbook and have adapted and changed a lot to suit my taste. So the method may not be so authentic. Please excuse.
Focaccia recipe (With red onion)
Recipe Cuisine: Continental | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Makes: 9 squares
Bread flour - 1 & ½ cup
Instant yeast - ¾ tbsp
Olive oil - 3 tblsp + as needed
Warm water - ½ cup (+ more if needed)
Sugar - ¼ tsp
Salt (sea salt if possible) - As needed
Onion - 1
*You can replace bread flour with all purpose flour / Maida
- Place flour, yeast, 2 tblsp olive oil, sugar and ½ the salt in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Mix warm water and gather to make a non sticky dough. Knead well for 5 minutes to make it smooth. Grease the bowl and place the dough covered with a cling wrap. Set aside for 1 & ½ hours to let it rise.
3. After 1 & ½ hour, the dough would have risen and punch it down again.
4. Roll it to a thick flat bread in desired shape and place it over a lined, well greased baking tray. I used my rectangle baking tray. Let it sit or another ½ hour. Meanwhile, Slice onion and mix it with a tblsp of oil.
5. Till then (½ hour) the dough would have risen a little bit and now, make shallow dips using your finger as shown in the picture. Generously drizzle olive oil and spread the sliced onion and sprinkle salt over it.
6. Pre heat oven to 200o C and bake the bread for 15 – 18 minutes or until the focaccia freely moves in the baking sheet. Let it cool over a wire rack and cut it into squares to serve.
- Actually, the salt has to be added only as topping, and only a pinch in the dough. But to suit my taste, I added in the dough.
- I tried cooking the onion first and then topping the focaccia and bake, it got burnt, so I recommend to add as such for baking.
- Using any herb will yield a flavourful bread.
- I made it as a whole single bread, but you can also make small round/ oval shaped breads for easy serving.
- If you are using other yeasts such as fresh yeast or dry yeast(1 tblsp), then, dissolve the sugar and yeast in luke warm water and keep aside for few minutes. It should froth and rise, forming froth on the top like a beer mug. then mix this with the flour to make dough.
Makes a wonderful soft and fluffy snack for your kids or for yourself! I had it with strawberry lemonade.
Wanted to try long time back 🙂 the taste is amazing 🙂 i tasted the stuffed foccia ! should i say its yummy!
Hi Rak's. I don't have bread flour. is it ok to make with maida.
Great raji,i love to bake breads lot,but just trying,well made and presented.
Superb foccacia! Our favorite is tomato topped along with lots of oregano!
Glad you remembered and tried it!
lovely foccacia, but I think 3rd& 4th row pictures are swapped.
Sounds great! What's bread flour made of? Is all-purpose flour a replacement?
P.S. The pictures don't seem to be in the right sequence.
Is maida a substitute for bread flour and pls tell me exactly what is bread flour.
Lovely bread Raji
very new one! btw, in step wise pics 5,6 & 7,8 are rearranged.. hope you don't mind, it is little confusing
Lovely focassia recipe...
They turned out perfect and i would love to have a bite . Nicely composed
delicious!!! have come out perfectly!!!
Yes sure you can try
Oops sorry will change it
Yeah mistake. Will change it thanks
Simple and Tasty treat and perfecttly baked. Looks amazing Rak's
Bread flour is nothing but more refined maida (all purpose flour). So you can sure replace it with all purpose flour.
Thanks for noticing, changed now 🙂
Hari Chandana P
Looks absolutely tempting. yummy!!
nicely done so tempting.. can I hv some ?
I like focaccia too and yours looks fab
they look so good. i have been trying to get bread flour here. but still not found out where 🙁
amazing they look tender, and gr8 share, and as always elegant clicks
Have to try this soon. nice one
Well baked and extremely inviting focaccia..
Hi!! Simply delicious recipe which I am going to try soon. However if I don't have instant yeast but plain old dry active yeast, any change of method as well as quantity that I should follow? Please advise. Which brand in India(Mumbai) specifically sells Instant yeast as well as Breadflour?
Updated under notes,last point...kindly refer that. thanks for asking.
Foccacia looks simply awesome.
Hey, your site is just SO AWESOME. Every time I need inspiration to cook, I come here and just scroll through the Recipe Index! <3 I recently started baking after seeing your recipes. Keep up the great work! And, I would love to see more international recipes! :]
Wonderful one :)While substituting bread flour with maida,shouldn't we be adding baking powder?,i am very interested in trying this 🙂
Foccacia looks yummy raks.. Bookmarking it.. Thanks for sharing 🙂
And yea as usual lovely clicks !!
Focaccia is one of our favorite bread. This looks good.
focaccia looks so perfect and delicious
tried the recipe tweeked a little and added mixed herbs to the dough.great recipe.tnx
Looks great...perfect texture, lovely clicks!!
Soobar as usual raks!!! I love burnt onion...s maybe I will fry them like u did....
Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.
Hi Raks, i am a new bee to your site, have tried Tomsto soup, rava idli, podi chutney... All came out very well.. but with Focaccia i faced few problems, my dried yeast dint proof, if you know a good brand for dried / instant yeast in India, please let me know. will be very helpful of you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
only olive oil or we can use any other oil?
Olive oil is the best for this recipe to give the flavor. In fact, they eat it dipped in olive oil!>
Pls mention the shelf life for focaccia
Only a day.
Can we make it without yeast
I haven't tried without yeast. It won't turn out good if you skip in this recipe.