Godhuma rava payasam is our recent favorite payasam, made with broken wheat, jaggery and milk as main ingredients.
Last year, when we saw samba godhumai rava in Mustafa, Vj told it will be nice if we make payasam with it. So I thought of trying it and bought. From then, I have made many a times, though more like a godhumai sweet kanji type. Why I say kanji because, I prepare without cardamom and cashew nuts as Vj doesn’t like both. I make it with sugar too. and less milk.
Since this Friday Tamizh new year is coming up, thought of posting this special payasam as Tamil New year recipe.
Check out other Tamil new year recipes
Step by step pictures
- First heat a small pressure cooker with 1 tsp ghee, roast cashew nuts until golden in low flame. Keep aside.
- Next add wheat rava to it and roast for a minute in medium flame.
- Carefully add 1 cup water, pinch of salt. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium flame.
- Once done, mix well. Heat jaggery with 1/4 cup water to melt it.
- Add it filtered to cooked wheat. Add 1/2 more cup of water.
- Boil in low flame for 5 minutes until the mixture turns thick.
- In low flame, add milk as you keep stirring.
- Add powdered cardamom, roasted cashew nuts, Keep mixing until it starts thickening. As it cools down, it will get thicker, so switch off accordingly. It will roughly take under 2 minutes.
Serve warm. Great taste, flavour and texture too!