Gulkand gulab jamun, when you want to make the gulab jamun extra special. If you have gulkand, you can try this simple twist to the regular gulab jamun.
I loved makkan peda, which is gulab jamun stuffed with dry fruits and nuts, so when I somehow found this idea of stuffing gulkand in jamun while browsing, I thought it should go well. As we make gulab jamun without any gulab in it most of the time, this is very nice add. I love rose flavour a lot. My mom have tried adding rose water in jamun syrup when I was a kid. Except me, no one liked at home, the addition of rose flavour to gulab jamun. Everyone are used to the cardamom flavoured syrup at our home. Same thing my MIL told, no one liked jamun with rose flavour at her place too. Gulab jamun is a amily favorite sweet at my in law’s place. So the would never let experiment with their regular trademark recipe.
But gulkand has a mild rose flavour, that is natural. If you are a gulkand lover, sure you would love this jamun too with gulkand stuffed in it.
How to prepare gulkand gulab jamun video:
How to make gulkand jamun Step by step pictures
- Take the jamun mix in a bowl. Add water little by little to make a crack free dough, by mixing gently with your finger tips. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mean while which you can make the syrup by boiling 4 cups of water and sugar along with powdered cardamom, saffron for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, knead the dough again gently few times. Grease your hands well with ghee or oil to avoid the stickiness. Divide into equal sized balls. The number of balls depends on the size preference. I made in big Indian gooseberry size. Flatten it slightly.
- Keep very little of gulkand in the middle and carefully cover from all the sides.
- Seal it well and roll. Repeat the same to all. Make sure the dough is enough to seal and cover the gulkand inside well.
- Heat oil in kadai until hot. It should not be smoking hot, just hot enough to raise a pinch of dough when dropped in oil. Put the flame to low or medium. Add few gulab jamuns together at a time. Keep turning or stirring so that it is uniformly coloured.
- Drain in paper towel and add to sugar syrup. Let it rest for 3 hours.
Serve as such as it has gulkand filling. You can warm slightly while serving. Or you can pair it with vanilla ice cream and serve.