Easy method to clean silver vessels at home which are blackened in three simple steps. Full video and step by step pictures detailed post.
Most of us have silver vessels or items in our home like plates, bowls, spoons, servewares, pooja items. It turns black, tarnish due to oxidation. Though we clean with other ways like using lemon juice and salt or by rubbing ash (viboothi), this method is so handy which I learnt way back from Shanthi’s blog. This method is found everywhere in the internet ever since quick and short videos became famous (Ex.Nifty) There are many more methods like using tomato ketchup, toothpaste etc. But this is my go to way of cleaning my silver vessels and at times use for pooja items too.
The plain silver plates and tumblers goes in and comes out shiny like a magic in this method. The one with intricate works needs very little effort of scrubbing either with metal scrubber or a brush.
Just aluminium foil and cooking soda does the magic. Most of you know about this by now, but I am sharing for those who are not aware of this, including my co-sis who requested to share this method 😊. Stay tuned for recipe posts lined up.
What you need to clean silver?
- A large vessel to boil enough water to immerse the silverware
- Aluminium foil
- Cooking soda
How to clean silver easily at home:
- Take a large vessel, Boil enough water to immerse all the silverware.
- Add a sheet of aluminium foil torn into bits.
- Add a tablespoon of cooking soda to the boiling water.
- Add the tarnish silverware carefully.
- Continue boiling for 2-5 mins.
- Take out carefully using metal tongs,
- Clean the intricate parts with a metal scrubber or a brush if needed.
- Wash and pat dry.
I clean the spoons, tumblers, plate and bowl and it works like charm. I clean lamps also at times if it’s too tarnished.