I used to buy ginger garlic paste in the stores, after I started cooking . My parents side and in-laws side still wont use Ginger garlic paste in any of there cooking😮!! Even if I cook for them anytime,I use it carefully that they wont know that smell 😦. I used to buy a famous brand in Mustafa where I do my monthly groceries shopping,then one fine day I could not find that and I was sceptical in buying/trying the other brands,then friends suggested this and that and hooked on another brand,again that too disappeared!😰 . It always happens there,suddenly the usual brand they keep will disappear and another new one will be there…the problem is…. that’s the only shop where I do the shopping…
You may wonder why I didn’t tried at home,well ,every one needs a good reason to start something new right!! I am first of all lazy,the second thing is I tried once or twice and I don’t know where I went wrong,the ratio or what,but it dint smell good!
GINGER GARLIC PASTE
|Ginger chopped roughly||3/4 cup|
|Garlic flakes ( Big variety)||1 cup|
- Peel the ginger skin( I get big palm size ginger,so I use the vegetable peeler and just peel the skin of ginger) and garlic ( I took garlic flakes from 3 –4 whole bulbs).Take equal amount,first grind ginger for a minute with turmeric and oil and then add the garlic.
- Grind to a smooth paste. Don’t use your hands to mix at any time while grinding,use spoon.Transfer the paste to clean air tight containers and store in refrigerator. You may use for a month if you handle well.
And now a simple recipe that you can find everywhere ,still I am posting 🤓:
PEAS PULAV /PULA0 / PILAF
|Basmati rice||1 cup|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 tsp|
|Salt||as per ur taste|
|Water||1 & 1/4 cup|
|Oil+ Ghee||2 tblsp|
|Pattai /cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Jeera/Shahi jeera||1 tsp|
- Soak the basmati rice for atleast 10 minutes.Slice the onion and slit the green chillies. Heat a cooker, add oil+ ghee, temper with the items given under to temper table. Add the onion,green chillies and reduce the flame and fry for a minute (Onion should not change its colour).Add the ginger garlic paste and again fry for a minute.Add the peas(I used frozen) and fry in low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the soaked rice,salt and water and mix well.Let it boil and then close the cooker and reduce the flame to low and cook for 10 minutes. Or give 2 whistles in medium flame.Let the pressure get down by itself and then fluff carefully and serve hot with any rich gravy or simply dal or subjis.
I served with Cauliflower subji.
This is very simple yet delicious rice,you can use your imagination and add more spice to the dish!
- Never fry the onions and ginger garlic paste in high flame or till burnt,which will give a dull coloured pulav!
- You can also use thin coconut milk in place of water,which enhances the taste.
- Mint and coriander leaves 2 tbsp can be added after opening the cooker.
- Do not stir when the pulao is hot after opening. It will break the rice. Just carefully fluff the rice by turning it from bottom to top once or twice.