How to make lemongrass black tea with step by step pictures. An easy and flavorful black tea made with fresh lemongrass.
I became a big fan of lemongrass tea when I had it for the very first time at Bali. It was served as welcome drink at our stay but had no idea what it was.
It was so refreshing and served cold. Later when we went around there, we had a stop at one manufacturer where they also served this flavorful lemongrass drink. Later we got instant mix for the same and came.
After that we kept buying lemongrass tea bags and everything had ginger in it. Nothing matched the one we had there. Still never had a thought to try with fresh lemongrass.
Last week my relative told me to try this. First time I didn’t know the knack and the tea turned out bitter.
I added too much tea powder. Then after few trials, realized should add less tea powder. Adding too much lemongrass or boiling too long also turns the tea bitter.
Though hot tea is perfectly tasty, I love to have it cold the best. But at times, I could not wait until it gets chilled. So have it hot. You can add lemon juice if you like. Good as such too.
lemongrass black tea | Fresh lemongrass tea
- 1 tsp Tea powder optional
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Fresh lemon grass stalk
- 2 tsp Sugar or according to taste
- ½ Lemon
- Wash and chop lemongrass. Crush slightly.
- Boil water and add tea powder. Simmer just for a minute.
- Add the lemongrass to the tea. Switch off the flame.
- Keep it covered for 2-3 minutes. Let the lemongrass steep well and flavours get infused in the tea.
- Filter, add sugar and mix. Lemongrass tea is ready.
- Do not add more tea powder or boil the tea for too long. It will make the tea bitter.
- Make sure to wash the lemongrass well.
- If you feel the tea is flat sweet, add a small pinch of sea salt.
- You can reduce the lemongrass to just half the amount if you want the flavor subtle.
1. Wash and chop lemongrass. Crush slightly.
2. Boil water and add tea powder. Simmer just for a minute.
3. Add the lemongrass to the tea. Switch off the flame.
4. Keep it covered for 2-3 minutes. Let the lemongrass steep well and flavours get infused in the tea.
5. Filter, add sugar and mix. Lemongrass tea is ready.
You can enjoy hot or bring to room temperature, top over ice cubes and serve chilled. I love a dash of lemon in my tea.