Milagu thattai preparation with step by step pictures. Milagu thattai is a flavourful snack with a punch of black pepper. Learn how to make milagu thattai for Gokulashtami.
I used the same recipe of my earlier thattai recipe I posted. Just skipped chana dal, red chilli. I have used store bought rice flour, but you can also prepare your own rice flour. Check this page for rice flour preparation. Please go through notes before trying for tips.
- Soak urad dal in water for 2 hrs minimum. Crush black pepper coarsely.
- Roast rice flour in medium flame for a minute, without changing its colour. Do not roast more than a minute.
- I used store bought urad dal flour. So roasted the flour itself slightly.
- Take rice flour, urad dal flour, roasted gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add crushed black pepper, sesame seeds, soaked urad dal, asafoetida, softened butter, salt and mix well.
- Add water and make a dough without any cracks. Divide into 24 equal sized balls.
- In a greased ziploc cover, keep one dough ball, flatten slightly with fingers. Cover it and flatten by pressing a flat bottomed vessel (I used damara). Flatten thin and even.
- Heat oil in kadai enough for deep frying. When oil is hot, put the flame to medium and add the flattened thattai by transferring from ziploc to your hands carefully and then transfer to the hot oil.
- Cook in medium flame, flip and cook in low flame to ensure it turns crisp.Drain in paper towels once bubbles ceases. You can fry 2-3 at a time.