Learn how to make semiya kesari, tips to make perfect without chewiness and stickiness. Full video and step by step pictures. Navratri special sweet recipe.
I have posted fine vermicelli kesari earlier and whenever Vj asks, I prepare fine vermicelli kesari only. But once he told he likes the regular semiya kesari better. And even described it will be really nice and the semiya will be seen separate separate instead of sticking together as in the fine vermicelli kesari. I liked fine vermicelli kesari. Yet tried with the regular semiya for some occasion, don’t remember if it was his birthday or our anniversary. It did not turn out well. Again I never attempted until again once he asked for the same for another occasion. I told him I don’t know the ratio and it didn’t turn out well when I tried earlier.
He told it is really easy to prepare semiya kesari than the rava kesari and he did once as I have posted for an event. After a while once again he craved for semiya kesari and he prepared, it became payasam. I too tried couple of times again for special occasions, either it turned sticky and chewy or ended up in too sweet kesari. If I reduced sugar it was really not sufficient sweet. Finally after few trial and errors, figured out what was the mistake I did.
So for a perfect textured semiya kesari, make sure to cook the kesari in medium heat after adding sugar. Also switch off once the sugar is absorbed, yet on runny side. Do not wait to get fully thickened. Also fluff it when it is warm and as it cools down to avoid caking.
How to make semiya kesari recipe method:
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan, add 2 tsp ghee, fry cashew nuts until golden in colour. Keep aside.
- In the same ghee, low heat, add semiya and roast until golden.
- Side by side heat water and add it to the roasted semiya, salt.
- Boil until ¾th done. Cook covered for 5 mins in medium heat. Stir in between if needed. Semiya should be soft.
- Add sugar, soaked saffron in milk and mix well. Sugar will melt and get watery.
- Continue cooking in medium flame until the mixture thickens and not too watery. Do not cook in high flame. Add remaining ghee and mix well.
- Add powdered cardamom, fried cashew nuts, mix well and switch off the flame.Fluff well once warm. Otherwise it will solidify like a cake.