Idli dosa batter in mixie, how to prepare idli dosa batter using mixie with step by step pictures and video. Perfect for soft idli and crispy dosa.
I usually grind my week’s batter in grinder which I have already posted. Idli dosa batter is a handy must have in my fridge as it is perfect to easily fix breakfast or dinner. Just have to decide on the side dish. I am comfortable grinding my batter in grinder as I grind in bulk with 5 cups idli rice. So never have tried grinding in mixie.
Few of my reader friends ask me to post idli dosa batter. Was thinking to do a post for long time, but somehow took me so long to try. My MIL have told me it will come out good equally as in grinder as she have already been using mixie to grind idli dosa batter for a family of 5 for while when she had no grinder. The tip she gave is to use ice water for grinding urad dal, also not letting the mixie get heated, which will affect the softness of the idli.
Since I have urad dal that I got from India with me, I knew it will never go wrong, as idli’s softness mainly depends on the urad dal quality.
How to make idli batter using mixie video
Step by step pictures
- Wash, soak rice for 3 hours. Soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in another vessel for 3 hours.
- Once soaked, drain water completely. First grind urad dal along with methi seeds using ice cold water. Do not add water all together. Add water little by little, running the mixie in short intervals. Until you see small bubbles on the surface of the batter. Batter should be smooth.
- Transfer to a large vessel, enough to hold the fermented batter. Grind rice in two batches. Add salt and cooked rice in one batch. Do not run the mixie for long time as it will heat up the mixer jar. So give enough interval to cool the jar. Grind smoothly.
- Transfer the ground batter and mix both batter. Use hands for mixing. Ferment overnight. Batter should raise and be airy, light, fluffy.
- You can make idli by pouring over greased idli plate and steaming for 8-10 mins depending on the size of the idli pot. Do not mix the batter, use it by taking undisturbed. For making dosa using same batter, add little water to the batter and mix well. Make dosa as seen in the video.