Idli upma, give me 3 times a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I can have it without complaining life long. I love it like that.
In this post, I am sharing my humble method to make idli upma with leftover idlies.
Best way to use leftover idlies from breakfast to a snack or dinner or Dinner's leftover to breakfast.
Any upma is my favorite, but this is one easy and unique upma made from the leftover idlies.
We call it udhuthu kulukal, which means crumbling and tossing. There must be a lot of variants in this idli upma, but this is the most simple and easiest that I like.
My mom makes it without carrot and I love that simple version first, but my MIL adds carrot in all possible dishes, including this idli upma to make it eye appealing.
In the beginning I used to not like the addition of carrots as I felt it suppresses the onion flavor a bit, but now I like this variation too.
My mom tempers with coconut oil and the fresh green chilies, onions and curry leaves tossed together gives a divine smell.
Its simple but packed with flavors. I have seen many of my friends love idli upma but sadly its opposite when it comes to the guys in the family.
Nobody likes it, I don't know why! I most of the times become lazy to make idli upma and have the aaripona idli itself.
It’s best only when someone makes you sit, prepare and gives you😂.
As I said, there are lot's of possible variations to this recipe depending on house and person to person who prepares it.
Here are some that I have heard, most of it I have tried too.
- Add idli podi towards end.
- Sprinkle some turmeric to make it look yellow if you like it that way.
- Temper with peanuts or cashews.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves either while sauteeing onion or garnish it.
- It is easy to crumble uniformly without any lumps if the idlies are refrigerated.
- You can either dip the idli quickly in water to crumble easily or add a drizzle of sesame oil over idlies before crumbling.
- You can even freeze the idlies in zipper bags upto 3 months for emergency hunger pangs.
You may also like
Step by step photos
- Crumble the idli firstly with a teaspoon of sesame oil. You can refrigerate the idlis, this will make your job easy as it wont stick to your fingers.
2. Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
Add onion and fry until transparent. Then add carrots, salt and fry for a minute.
Everything in medium flame without changing its color. Otherwise the upma will turn dull in color.
3. Add the crumbled idli and just toss for a minute until its mixed well.
Serve hot, can be had as such or best with sugar😊 Check out the other left over idli recipes.
Idli upma recipe
- 6 Idli
- 1 Onion large
- 4 Green chilli slit
- 3 tablespoon Carrot Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil Any cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 tablespoon Chana dal
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Crumble the idli with a teaspoon of sesame oil. You can refrigerate the idlis, this will make your job easy as it wont stick to your fingers.
- Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.1 tablespoon Coconut oil, ½ teaspoon Mustard, 1 teaspoon Urad dal, 1 tablespoon Chana dal, 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Add onion and fry until transparent.
- Then add carrots, salt and fry for a minute.
- Everything in medium flame without changing its colour. Otherwise the upma will turn dull in colour.
- Add the crumbled idli and just toss for a minute until its mixed well.
- Refrigerating the idlis gives beautiful crumble of the idlies. More you refrigerate, easy to crumble.
- You can add vegetables to fortify this upma.
- Sesame oil can be added while crumbling.