Instant pot masala pasta, a one pot pasta recipe with Indian spices and flavors to suit our taste buds. Quick video step by step photos.
I crave for a pasta dish, especially, one packed with Indian flavours and spices. So I adapted my masala pasta recipe and did it in Instant pot. After posting my Instant pot tiffin sambar recipe, many feedback to post more recipes in it. So this is my next favorite, quick and tasty equally as the earlier one, just one pot and no much stirring.
For this masala pasta, I have used Organic tomato puree. It was thin than the tinned thick paste. So I used ½ cup of it. If the brand you use is thick and too much of tart, please take ¼ cup and dilute to ½ cup. Or you can also use ready made pasta sauce. Just watch out for the salt you add.
To give the Indian flavour, I have used curry powder. You can use my sambar powder or red chilli powder (1 tsp) + coriander powder (½ tsp) in place of it for this recipe. Both curry powder and tomato puree are Tesco brand.
I used onion, carrot, capsicum and green peas. You can use veggies of your choice like broccoli, asparagus, zucchini too. I like to use white or yellow onion but used Indian onions instead.
So for more intense Indianized flavour, I used cumin seeds for tempering and a little of garam masala powder & kasoori methi too. But to keep the pasta flavour, I added Italian herb (dried oregano).
Are videos more your thing?Here's how to make Indian style masala pasta in Instant pot video!
- Skip garlic and use onion alone. Garlic powder can also be used.
- Smoked paprika or sweet paprika can be used for a lovely flavour.
- Butter can be added for frying and serve with cheese topping for richer taste.
Thing to note:
Make sure to add water to immerse pasta so that it gets cooked evenly. Otherwise it may not be evenly soft.
Use evenly shaped and easy cooking pasta like fusilli, macaroni, shell shape.
How to make Instant pot masala pasta
To begin with, sautee cumin seeds, followed by finely chopped garlic. Proceed by sauteeing onion and vegetables. Add tomato puree and all spices and salt as needed. Tip in pasta, top with water to cover it. Do not stir. Just pressure cook for 7 mins. Wait 10 mins and release the rest of the pressure manually and open to stir and serve.
Instant pot masala pasta
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- 1 cup Fusilli pasta
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- ¾ cup water
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic finely chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum chopped
- 2 tablespoon Carrot chopped
- 2 tablespoon Green peas
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kasoori methi
- ½ teaspoon Oregano dried
- If you want pasta to be on more softer side, than al-dente, Mix well after you open. Let it be in keep warm mode (Low). The more you let it rest, it will be softer.
- Make sure pasta is immersed in water. Otherwise it wont be evenly soft. Choose quick cooking pasta. Also a good quality pasta, not the thin pasta.
- Depending on the brand, size, shape of pasta, the cooking time might vary, so experiment yourself to get the right timing.
Instant pot Masala pasta Step by step photos:
- Start Instant pot in Saute mode for 10 mins in Normal heat. Add olive oil. Wait for a minute to heat. Add cumin seeds. Give it a roast. In goes garlic. Saute for a minute. It just starts to turn golden.
- Tip in chopped onion. stir fry for one more minute. Add all the vegetables and cook for 2 mins.
- Pour the tomato puree. Add all the spice powders and salt. Tip in pasta on top of it in spread way. After adding pasta, do not stir. Pour water to immerse the pasta. If anything is not, push inside to keep it immersed.
- Pressure cook for 7 mins in High pressure. Let it rest for 10 mins and release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Open and mix to serve.
Enjoy hot. Top it with some pasta cheese if you like.