Irani Chai, Hyderabadi style Dum tea in Instant pot. You can make this in pressure cooker as well. Satisfying taste, must try for tea lovers!
Making tea in Instant pot is hassle free, no baby sitting, no overflowing, perfect for bachelors or when you want to just make tea relaxingly planning ahead.
This makes it perfect for get togethers, when you just want to keep the chai ready, while you chill with your friends. The amazing flavor and taste will sure surprise and treat your guests/ yourself or your family.
Known by various names, Dum tea or Irani chai is very famous in Hyderabad. Vj have been living in Hyderabad for a while and keeps telling about the wonderful place.
But since he is not a tea person, he told he have not tried this. I have seen in many Youtube street food videos showing how the dum chai is made.
Firstly the tea decoction is simmered for 45 mins in a special vessel which allows to lock the flavor. Spices, sugar are added along the tea powder and put in ‘Dum’ that is no escaping of flavor as the tea brews.
It is just opposite to some rules of making tea where we just want to infuse the tea in hot water, no boiling. Rather, here it is simmered for more time making it strong in flavor and taste.
Another important factor that makes it more Irani style is the thick milk. At some places, even malai is added on top while serving.
The name is Irani chai, because it is served Irani Cafe and is well known in Hyderabad and Mumbai.
I have adapted this method and made as one pot in Instant pot. Since it is supposed to brew longer, I chose slow cook mode to do a bit of justice.
- I used Lipton yellow label tea for this recipe. (tea dust)
- Sugar can be adjusted as per personal preference.
- A dash of condensed milk in this because the milk is thick in the authentic recipe. So it will provide the richness and smoothness.
See recipe card for other ingredients & quantities.
If you want to omit condensed milk, it is just an addition to enhance taste.
Want to cut down sugar or use natural sweetener? Go ahead, you can use jaggery, brown sugar too but suggest to add after filtering and mix it to avoid curdling.
You can also go for low fat milk. In that case you can even use fully milk rather than using water in the recipe.
Don’t own Instant pot? To make in pressure cooker see this Dum tea by ArchKC which is my inspiration in first place.
I have not tried this in any other mode in Instant pot. But definitely will try and update if there is a quicker version.
Is video more your thing? Watch quick video for Dum chai.
I made this 3 times already and this time I had some leftover and I reheated it. It was tasting perfectly fine for me, no bitterness or weird taste.
So you can refrigerate the leftover and use it up for a serving later. I do not recommend more than a day but. Use it up within 24 hrs.
Irani Chai, Dum tea in Instant pot
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- 1 cup Milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp Tea powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Cardamom crushed
- 1 tbsp Condensed milk or as per need
- Start instant pot in Slow cook mode in Normal for 30 mins
- After that add water to the inner pot. Then add tea powder.¾ cup water, 1 tbsp Tea powder
- Following it, sprinkle sugar, crushed cardamom Pour milk to it. No need to stir.1 cup Milk, 1 tbsp Sugar, 2 Cardamom
- Close the lid and wait until the timer is up. For me no pressure was built so I opened immediately as such.
- If there is any pressure, you can quick release it and open.
- Add condensed milk according to your taste preference. If you do not want it too sweet add less. If you are sweet tooth you can add upto 2 tbsp.1 tbsp Condensed milk
- Mix well and filter.
- Enjoy immediately as it will cool sooner.
- If you want to omit condensed milk
- You can use jaggery, brown sugar too but suggest to add after filtering and mix it to avoid curdling.
- Low fat milk can also be used.
1. Start instant pot in Slow cook mode in Normal for 30 mins
2. After that add ¾ cup water to the inner pot. Then add 1 tbsp of tea powder.
3. Following it, sprinkle 1 tbsp of sugar, crushed cardamom.
4. Pour milk to it. No need to stir.
5. Close the lid and wait until the timer is up. For me no pressure was built so I opened immediately as such.
6. If there is any pressure, you can quick release it and open.
5. Add condensed milk according to your taste preference. If you do not want it too sweet add less. If you are sweet tooth you can add upto 2 tbsp.
6. Mix well and filter.
7. Enjoy immediately as it will cool sooner.
Serve with Onion samosa or simply rusk or Osmania biscuits which is best match for this.