Jhal muri is a spicy street food, quick snack made with Muri (puffed rice). Vegetables, spice powders added along with tangy lemon/ tamarind and magic ingredient mustard oil.
Jhal means Spicy and Muri means puffed rice. Puffed rice is also known by various names murmura, pori, muri, murmuri etc.
It is originated in Bengal, a popular Bengali street food, though quite popular in Bangladesh as well as popular street food snack across north India.
I have not tasted before, I thought it would taste like the Beach style kaara pori I already posted. But the flavor was so different and really loved this quick snack. There are many variations available with this I guess.
What I have shared is made up with things I had. The vegetables that go in jhal muri can vary, but the main ingredient that is unique flavor in this is mustard oil.
I have seen videos in which street food vendor adds other things like boiled chickpeas (kala chana) and chanachur (Bombay mix).
Jhal muri recipe
- 2 cups Puffed rice Muri
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Potato Boiled (I did not add)
- Chopped coconut Optional, I did not add
- ¼ cup Peanuts roasted
- 2 Green chilli
- 3 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoon Lemon juice or tamarind extract
- ½ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin seeds powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt
- ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon Mustard oil
- ¼ cup Sev
- 1 Cucumber small, optional
- Gather all the ingredients needed for the recipe.
- Mix all the dry ingredients first.
- Lastly add lemon juice, oil and mix well. Top with sev (if adding) and serve.
- You can use ½ lemon juice and half tamarind pulp too.
- I forgot to add tamarind pulp.
- Add black salt and chaat masala carefully as both has salt in it.
- Use all fresh ingredients.
- I have not added coconut bits, which is said to be added always. Please do add it for authentic taste.
Step by step
- To make this snack, gather all the ingredients firstly needed for the recipe.
- Secondly, mix lemon juice, mustard oil in it.
- Thirdly, mix well.
- Finally, top with sev, mix and serve.
Serve immediately as you prepare.