Kadalai paruppu sundal recipe. Learn how to make simple chana dal sundal with step by step pictures.
Mom makes this every time once in the 9 days of Navaratri golu. This is such a simple one, yet packed full with flavors. Actually all the sundal recipes are!
Do check out my menu planner for 9 days of Navaratri for inspirations.
I always loved the aroma that the house is filled when mom tempers for sundal.
Ginger, green chilli and asafoetida combines to give a great aroma that takes you out of this world! I love that combination.
That too mom uses kadalennai (ground nut oil) for tempering and uses little coconut oil which enhances the flavour.
Though I use refined sunflower oil for cooking, I just love kadalennai for tempering.
So I find idayam kadalennai (peanut oil/ Not sponsored!) these days in Mustafa and buy that and use it sparingly in my cooking.
It took for me some years to realise why my tempering is not wafting the same aroma as mom’s or MIL’s tempering. Silly me.
Kadalai paruppu sundal recipe
- 1 cup Kadalai paruppu Chana dal
- 3 Green chilli
- 4 tablespoon Grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon Coconut oil optional
- Salt - As needed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida
- Wash and soak chana dal for at least 1 hour or upto 3 hours.
- Boil 3 cups water and add the soaked chana dal (strain from water and add it to boiling water).
- Boil for 5 minutes in between add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Drain from water once it cooked soft from inside. Do not overcook or undercook.
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
- Add ginger, chilli and stir well.
- In goes cooked dal and mix well.
- Lastly add coconut and mix well for a minute, add coconut oil if desired. Transfer to the serving bowl.
- You can use red chilli in place of green chillies. Just use 2.You can also pressure cook the chana dal for a whistle instead boiling.
- Soaking dal makes it easy to cook. So more you soak, quick it gets cooked and stays moist too.
1. Wash and soak chana dal for atleast 1 hour or upto 3 hours.
Boil 3 cups water and add the soaked chana dal(strain from water and add it to boiling water).Boil for 5 minutes in between add 1 teaspoon salt.
2. Drain from water once it cooked soft from inside. Do not overcook or undercook. If you can press between your two fingers, it should get mashed softly.
Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table.
3. Add ginger, chilly and stir well. In goes the cooked dal and mix well.
Lastly add coconut and mix well for a minute, add coconut oil if desired. Transfer to the serving bowl.
Enjoy this flavorful sundal, perfect for making this Navaratri in the evenings as prasadam.