Kadamba chutney is made with combination of curry leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves along with other ingredients which varies from one house to other depending on their taste and availability of ingredients. I have used onion, tomato as main ingredients here.
I got this recipe from my co sis, when she told it was masala dosa and kadamba chutney for her dinner. I have not heard about this chutney before so asked what it was. Knowing I will bug her for the recipe, she asked her mom immediately and replied with the recipe and a picture to show how it looks like. After seeing the recipe, I knew once I tasted the same when I was at Chennai with my MIL. Only difference was my MIL used only ginger, but here in this kadamba chutney recipe, both are used.
I always look for new recipes for chutney and this was my recent addition to the chutenys I make. I made this for idli and it was perfect.
Check out my other chutney recipes.
Click here to read this recipe in tamil
Step by step pictures:
- Cube onion and tomato, keep all the ingredients ready for the chutney. Heat a pan/ kadai with 2 tsp of oil. First roast red chilli.
- Add onion, tomato, green chilli, garlic, ginger, mint, coriander, curry leaves and tamarind to it. Fry until tomato turns soft.
- Add coconut and fry for a minute.
- Cool down and grind with salt. You can add water if needed.
- Heat kadai with oil and temper with the mustard and urad dal. Mix with chutney.
Serve with idli/ dosa. We had with idli.