Karamani sundal, a simple yet flavorful snack prepared with black eyed pea and few other simple ingredients in the pantry.
Last year I planned few sundal recipes with different topping ideas suggested by my MIL for Navaratri season.
But could not post and this year too as we planned our short vacation, I have not set kolu and I am scheduling this simple recipe. Check out my Navaratri menu plan for 9 days.
This is no fancy recipe, simple and just like the other basic sundal recipes.
Karamani in Englis is Black eyed peas and Lobia in Hindi, has one advantage. Even If you forgot to soak overnight, just 3 hours soaking is fine for this.
It gets easily cooked. We usually make karamani kuzhambu which
I will post soon, but I tried making sundal very recently only.
Karamani is one flavorful legume, so even when you make it simple, it makes a yummy sundal.
Check out my Lobia vadai recipe.
Karamani sundal recipe
- 1 cup Karamani / Black eyed peas/ Lobia
- ½ cup Grated coconut
- Salt – As needed
- 2 teaspoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard
- 2 teaspoon Urad dal
- 2 Red chilli
- 2 pinches Asafoetida
- 1 Curry leaves sprig
- Soak karamani atleast 3 hours in hot water. Drain water. Add enough water, salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame.
- Heat a kadai, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order, followed by karamani.
- Stir for a minute until any retained water evaporates and add grated coconut. Stir for 2 minutes in medium flame.
- Let some moisture remain in step 3, otherwise sundal might turn too dry.
- You can try topping with unique ingredients like beetle leaves, tulsi leaves for a twist.
1. Wash and soak karamani at least 3 hours in hot water.
After that, drain water, add enough water again to just immerse the legume, salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame.
2. Heat a kadai, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order, followed by cooked karamani.
3. Stir for a minute until any retained water evaporates and add grated coconut. Stir for 2 minutes in medium flame.
You can make this on regular days as well for a healthy snack!