I love kootu varieties,especially the way my mom does it!! One of her best kootu is Mixed.veg kootu,I call it as sakalakalaa kootu😃. Me and my brother used to ask for second and third servings if she makes it and most of the time there will not be anything in the bowl for herself! Next to that kootu,keerai kootu is is the one i love,I can say,have I never tasted a better kootu than my mom’s!( I know this dialogue will be the most heard one😉)
When my friend sangeeta left Singapore,I called her for lunch and this was in my menu….Her daughter and herself liked it very much,she gave her daughter, kootu with parata too and she said it was tasting good with that too! And I can say I am posting this for her and also it will help so many beginners!!
|Keerai(I used Molai keerai with stem),Amaranth leaves||2 small bunches|
|Paasi paruppu/moong dal||1/4 cup|
|Sambar powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/8 tsp|
|Coconut grated||1/4 cup|
|Rice flour||1/2 tsp|
|water||little to grind|
|Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu||1/2 tsp|
1. Remove the root part of the keerai and wash them twice in plenty of water.Keep aside for the water to drain. Mean while,pressuure cook moong and grind the coconut and keep aside.Chop the keerai finely,with stem.
2.Boil a cup of water,add turmeric,sambhar powder,salt followed by the chopped leaves.Turn the leaves after a minute to ensure even cooking.Cook till the stems are cooked well and then add the cooked,mashed moong dal and stir well.
3. Add the ground coconut mixture and mix well,bring to boil.
6.Switch off the flame and now temper with the items given in the To Temper table in order.
Brown the onions nicely which is very important to enhance the flavor of the kootu.Mix well and serve as an accompaniment or mix this with ghee and rice,tastes heavenly!!
Now Announcing “Cooking For Guests” Event!!
This idea was actually given by one of my friend I got through blogging,Jeyashri Suresh. I agreed with a condition that she should send entries to the event
From August 1 to September 15
Yet another event in this blog world,but will definitely help us when we are struggling to decide what to cook for the guests coming to home!!
Here’s the rules,please go through it :
- Post the complete spread you are specially cooking for the guests visiting your home. (For example..A starter,main course,side dish,dessert….) with recipes and pictures,in your blog in between the given date of August 1 to September 15. No non.veg dishes please!
- If you already have the recipes in ur blog posted, link all the recipes under one new post and give at least one picture with all of your cooked items,together.
- Also write for whom you cooked and why you cooked those dishes if you really want to!!
- Link to this post,use the logo and mail me,the following details to [email protected]
- Name : Your preferred name to be displayed in the round up!
- Name of your blog:
- URL of the entry post :
- Attach a picture containing all the dishes you made.(size doesn’t matter)
Edited to add :
Its not necessary that it should be a Dinner or lunch or a something specific,but it should have what you cooked for your guest,let it be a super duper spread from starter to dessert… or a simple peas pulav with dal or a korma…whatever you make specially for you guests.
Please post a spread containing minimum of two or more combination recipes.
The purpose is to easily get an idea of what we are going to cook completely for our guests….
Hope and wish guest should visit your home in this period of time