Killu Adai (Rice roti upma with toor dal)
In this recipe, we soak rice, grind to a smooth batter, make adai out of it. We tear the adai into small tiny pieces. Later tossed with cooked toor dal and other ingredients to give a wholesome dish which we have for dinner. This is a recipe which my mother learnt from her mother and my mother used to make, when I was a kid. She says,this is one dish which involves helping hand form all the ladies at home.
Yes,those days...people used to live as a joint family and every lady member in the house will share the house works.So this recipe was easier to make for them.
As the name indicates,the rotis were made and pinched with hands to small pieces..sitting and chatting in the evenings,they enjoyed doing this.But I chopped with knife 🙂 This is also called paruppu adai as we toss with toor dal.
Updated : I did a facebook live with this recipe as a dedication to my mom: Please watch it for details
- Rice(I used ponni par-boiled rice) - 1 cup
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Small onions - ¾ cup chopped
- Jeera/cumin seed - 1 ½ tsp
- Green chillies - 3-4 chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coconut grated - 2-3 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
- Pressure cook toor dal with enough water for one or two whistles and drain the water,keep aside. Dal should be soft as well as not mushy.
- Soak rice for atleast 3 hours and grind with little water and salt, to a fine paste.
- Heat a tawa and pour the batter to spread as adai. Cook covered to ensure it does not get dry. After a minute, flip and cook for few seconds.
- Sprinkle some water, to make it soft and to get cooked easily.
- Repeat for all rotis,the same procedure and let it cool for some time.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions and green chillies and crush the jeera/cumin seeds and keep a side.
- Chop the cooled rotis into small pieces or you can also tear into tiny pieces with hands and keep a side.
- Heat a broad kadai and add the coconut oil.Add mustard,followed by green chillies and curry leaves.Then add the chopped onions.
- Fry till transparent, add the cooked toor dal. if there is little water content its ok. Add enough salt for dal.
- Add the the chopped rotis.
- Fry for 2 minutes and add little water in sprinkled way if it is too dry.
- Lastly add the grated coconut, crushed cumin seeds and little more coconut oil,mix well.Fry for a minute in high flame.
- Serve hot!Will taste divine with rice,dhal and coconut oil combo
This dish I am sending to Linda of Out of garden,for her JFI - Toor dal Event