Lemon idiyappam is simplest variety made with homemade idiyappam, rice noodles. Just like lemon rice, lemon idiyappam is also a quick fix, when idiyappam is ready. You can also use store bought rice sevai.
I make lemon idiyappam when ever I make idiyappam at home, along with sweet idiyappam, when I want to keep it simple. In my childhood days, mom makes lemon sevai, using the traditional way of making from scratch. It was delicious, never knew how much effort goes in. Now a days idiyappam itself have become luxury (special), with all these readymade idiyappam flour available in stores.
I do not buy readymade sevai, only bought few times for past couple of years. Prefer making using idiyappam flour that is passed to me by my MIL. I recently got some readymade sample of ready to eat idiyappam. So clicked this lemon idiyappam finally😳 though I have made gazillion times so far.
Step by step pictures preparation:
- First prepare idiyappam dough by boiling enough water with salt, 1/2 tsp sesame oil. IN a mixing bowl, take flour, add boiled water to it little by little and mix with a spoon roughly. When it is warm enough to handle, grease your hands and knead to a smooth, soft dough. Keep covered.
- Grease a steamer plate (or any perforated palte) with few drops of oil. Fill the idiyappam press (mould) with prepared dough. Squeeze over the greased plate. Do not overlay, just two layers, not more than that. Steam for 3 – 4 mins. Invert over a large bowl and repeat the process to finish all the dough.
- When it is warm enough to handle, separate roughly and add a tsp of sesame oil. Keep aside. In a kadai, heat oil and temper with the items given under to temper table in order.
- Switch off the stove, add lemon juice and salt.
- Add to prepared idiyappam and mix well to separate the idiyappam well.