Manthakkali vathal kuzhambu is a tangy and spicy tamarind based gravy prepared with dried blacknight shade berries. No onion no garlic step by step pictures recipe.
I took these manathakkali vathal from my mami during my last trip to India. I have made vathal kuzhambu couple of times and it’s about to finish as I took very very less. So I thought before running out of vathal, I should post this recipe in my blog. Not a big fan of vathal in kuzhambu, I better like to have it fried and had as curd rice side dish. Yet wanted to make this time because felt like having after a bad viral infection 🤒.
We always make kuzhambu with small onion and garlic, but making without both was really so easy and was done in a jiffy. Even for the kootu I did not add onion today. So the whole cooking work was done so easily I felt😀.
Manathakkali vathal kuzhambu steps:
- If using tamarind, soak in hot water for 20 mins, extract tamarind juice and adjust the total quantity of water to measure 3 & 1/2 cups.
- Heat a kadai with oil. Splutter mustard, add urad dal, toor dal, cumins seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Roast until dals turn golden.
- Add manathakkali vathal and roast for a minute. Transfer the content to a heavy bottomed vessel. Add sambar powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt.
- Since I used tamarind paste, I added water, boil well with tamarind extract.
- Boil for 15 mins. Towards end, dissolve rice flour in a tbsp of water and mix.
- Add jaggery, mix well and switch off the flame.