Mango French toast with a hint of cinnamon, it's egg free version with simple ingredients you will have in your pantry. Full video, step by step photos.
I had this in my to try list for years after seeing in Pinterest. I had last few ripe organic Alphoso mangoes sitting in fridge. Not crazy about mangoes to eat it as such.
So thought of using it for making post. I made aamras puri yesterday and updated the video as well as used some for trying out French toast.
In fact, I have made French toast only few times. Recently started craving for the regular ones and then thought I will make a post and try this mango French toast itself.
Me and Vj loved to have it as it was sweet and with the king of fruits Mango!
👪 Serving size
This recipe is perfect for 5 toasts, but you can scale the recipe to suit your family size. Since there are calorie high ingredients, restrict yourself with two.
- The choice of bread can be French bread, Brioche bread as well as sour dough bread.
- Pure Vanilla Extract and Cinnamon are there in this recipe. But if you do not like cinnamon flavor, I can suggest you to add a cardamom finely powdered and added to the batter. You can add a pinch of dry ginger as well, if you like.
- I used alphonso mango, as a result, the bright colored mango give a nice hue to the toast but you can use any variety,
If video is more your thing, have a look at this quick video.
🌱 Vegan version
Replace milk with coconut milk, butter with coconut oil or vegan friendly butter and add a tablespoon of coconut flakes in the batter. Use maple syrup or agave in place of honey for serving. It tastes awesome too.
Instead of coconut flavor, you can just make it similar to this by using oat milk, almond milk etc and other vegan friendly ingredients to swap with the dairy ones.
Since we are using fresh fruit pulp in the batter, I would suggest to finish off the batter within a day, refrigerated. It is very easy to prepare, so you can whip up the batter when you need.
Mango pulp can be prepped and kept overnight so that morning you just need to mix everything together.
💬 You may also like
Mango French toast
Equipments (Amazon Affiliate links)
- Cast iron griddle
- 5 bread slices
- ¼ cup mango puree
- 1.5 tablespoon Corn flour
- 1.5 tablespoon Sugar Granulated
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 2-3 tablespoon butter
- honey to serve
- Take corn starch, mango pulp, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Wide mouthed will work best. Using a sauce whisk make a smooth batter.
- Take a slice of bread, give a quick dip on either side of it to coat it completely.
- Heat a cast iron griddle or any pan with a teaspoon of butter. Place over the melt butter and cook in medium flame until golden in color.
- Flip and cook with extra butter until it's done. Repeat to finish.
- When using iron griddle, make sure to use butter as required to avoid sticking to the pan. So not try to flip before it gets cooked. It might be sticky.
- Once cooked well, it will easily come off from the pan.
- Cook in medium heat, neither too low nor high.
📸 Step by step photos
1. Take corn starch, mango pulp, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Wide mouthed will work best. Using a sauce whisk make a smooth batter.
2. Take a slice of bread, give a quick dip on either side of it to coat it completely.
3. Heat a cast iron griddle or any pan with a teaspoon of butter. Place over the melt butter and cook in medium flame until golden in color. Flip and cook with extra butter until it's done. Repeat to finish.
Serve with warm maple syrup of a drizzle of honey and some fresh mango slices.