Mango jelly popsicle or agar agar popsicle is no melt, kid’s friendly popsicle. Just one hour setting time. No freezing is required.
During my childhood, I once when bought popsicle from a street vendor during our summer holidays, I got mango popsicle, it was 2 Rs, usually the popsicles are only 1 rupee.
And the texture of the mango popsicle was so different, that it was more like halwa, than a popsicle, that I bit and ate rather licking it like the regular popsicle. It was only once, and after that, I never had a chance to have it.
These days I see jelly popsicle ads in TV. No one is fan of jelly in our family, and at times, worried about gelatin too. My friend Sangeeta too suggested to post jelly popsicles last month, but I wasn’t ready to post.
Few days back, a reader asked me to post jelly popsicle with agar agar strips. I too thought I will give it a try. I wasn’t sure until I took out the mango jelly popsicle from the freezer if it would come out good.
But it came out perfectly and I wont say it came same like the halwa popsicle I had in my childhood, but kind of agar agar pudding in popsicle form. Kids gonna love this for sure. Try out this summer with your kid’s favourite fruit. Very easy to prepare with less ingredients.
In the video, I have not added lemon juice and salt, but recommend it for balanced taste.
Agar agar popsicle recipe
- 10 Grams Agar agar strips China grass
- 500 ml Water
- 2 Mango 1 & ½ cups of pulp
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Pinch Salt Optional
- Wash and soak agar agar strips in water for 15 mins.
- Boil it in medium flame with water for 15 mins or until its completely dissolved.
- Add sugar and continue stirring until it dissolves.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool for 10 mins.
- Puree mango and add it to the agar agar mix. Mix well using a whisk.
- Pour it to the popsicle moulds and refrigerate for 1 hour. You can also keep in freezer and make it more cold and firm for different texture. Just 2 hours, not more than that.
- Show under tap water for a minute all the sides, before pulling out from the mold.
- If using agar agar powder, follow the instructions given in the pack.
- Sugar should be more, so taste it as you mix. Otherwise, will be bland while eating.
- Do not let the mixture sit after adding the fruit puree. Pour it immediately in popsicle molds.
- Adding lemon juice and salt is to avoid flat taste of the popsicle.
Step by step photos
1. Wash and soak agar agar strips in water for 15 mins. Boil it in medium flame with water for 15 mins or until its completely dissolved.
2. Add sugar and dissolve it too. Switch off the flame and let it cool for 10 mins.
3. Puree mango and add it to the agar agar mix. Mix well using a whisk.
4. Pour it to the popsicle moulds and keep refrigerated for an hour. You can also freeze for not more than 2 hrs for different texture.
5. Show under tap water for a minute all the sides, before pulling out from the mould.
This popsicle wont drip or melt and you cannot lick and eat, you should bite and eat!